Home-made Bar-Mitts. Cheap and easy. And they work, too.

GoldenMotor.com

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
I've been working on this for a couple of years now. The sets I made last year were just about right. Good enough that I'll use them again this year. And since they're inexpensive and pretty easy to make, I'll offer the how-to to anyone who can make use of it.

001.jpg

002.jpg

diagram.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

Be careful with the soldering iron. In tight spots, like where the handlebar passes through the mitt, it's easy to burn a hole that's larger than you want.

These things are waterproof. Very handy in cold November rains. And your grips, shifters, cables, etc., are protected from the weather.

They're also warm. I haven't motored much in the heart of winter. But on my plain old pedal bike my hands are plenty warm and comfortable down to a few degrees F wearing only gloves that are not much thicker than brown jersey gloves.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Blue,
That's a great idea.
I hope some of our hard core winter bikers can use it. Me, I'm a fair weather rider. When the temps drop into the 40s and below I stay inside and look out at the streets and wish for summer. Winter is when I do my builds. In a warm heated garage I turn wrenches and build something new to ride when the weather is friendlier.
Seriously, that is a great way to keep the cold off your hands. Simple and effective.
Thanks for sharing.

Tom

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Hmmm, that's cool, now to re-direct the exhaust through the handle bars. (or the seat)
Got me thinking now...
Now that you mention it.......

An exhaust extension could be routed up toward the seat.....

Those exhaust gases might still be a bit hot. But in the wind they might not burn the legs or the butt.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
The mits seem like a good idea, but I think in terms of "what about emergency situations" That's when they scare me.
Well, it's not a bad point. I've thought about the same thing.

In my experience they take a little getting used to. But only a little. With just a bit of practice I can take my arm out to, for instance, give a hand signal. And I can slip it back in and on the grip without needing to look or feel around.

I'm also pretty confident that I can get my arm out quick in an emergency situation. But I haven't faced one yet in, I think, three winters now of using these.

I tend to ride pretty slow and deliberate in winter. That's going to help.

So I wouldn't feel honest if I discounted your concern completely. But I'm not overly concerned about it either.

Oh! I'd forgotten one thing. They definitely increase your visibility to drivers. They stick out like a sore thumb and people are curious and even a bit bewildered. That safety plus might even balance out the potential safety minus.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Not a bad idea at all. Good job.

If one wanted to increase visibility even more, reflective tape should stick to the tarps.

As for the safety concerns, instead of binding the seam together all the way from grips to the cuff, it could probably be only partly closed, then have velcro spots (not straps or tabs wrapped around the outside) from the cuff to 2/3rds of the way to the grips for a quick tear-away/pull out.

True, the weather resistance would be slightly reduced, but that's where your coat sleeve would be anyway.