Chain Tensioner issue

GoldenMotor.com

~macaddict~

Jul 29, 2008
Ok, so my tensioner is finally showing some wear on the plastic wheel and I remember a while back I saw a posting for the skate board wheel mod, but now I cant seem to find it while searching for it. Could someone please post a link to it. Thanks in advance.

Matheneyr3

Jun 4, 2009
Carolinas
Has anyone considered, or attempted to use a modified Derailer as a chain tensioner? Seems to me it would be the perfect thing, being spring loaded, and could be mounted onto the stock tensioner mount....Just wondering-considering trying just that myself....

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
Has anyone considered, or attempted to use a modified Derailer as a chain tensioner? Seems to me it would be the perfect thing, being spring loaded, and could be mounted onto the stock tensioner mount....Just wondering-considering trying just that myself....
Yeah, I have one and I'll never use anything else. They are already proven and road worthy. Check out my thread New OCC chopper paint! and you can see mine

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
i still have the stock tensioner and it works fine for me. but i do have a derailer in my parts box that came from a mountain bike that i might use for a tensioner sometime.

Matheneyr3

Jun 4, 2009
Carolinas
Nice Paint Snake!!
I'm not sure how to post a pic, but I finished a test ride with a modified derailer mounted to the stock tensioner mount, and it works great! Quiet, and a smooth ride....As for me I'm not going back to the stock tensioner-should have done this long before now.

Matheneyr3

Jun 4, 2009
Carolinas
I think I've got the photo attached, sorry about the learning curve on the forum- But I can run my little Moondog to 38 smoooth on flat runs, and am reccomending this mod to anyone who can prep the parts. I found it very simple- here is the pick before flat black primer.

Attachments

Matheneyr3

Jun 4, 2009
Carolinas
Mounts to the stock tensioner bracket, using only one wheel with spacers for the chain clearance from the wheel mount. Also had to be sure that when starting that the main mounting bolt wasn't so long that the tensioner pulled down and the wheel contacted the bolt end. Instead the bracket that the little wheel bolts to contacts the nut on the inside, and keeps the tensioner from going overly slack.
I've run it about 25 miles today, and it works!
Also, the little adjustment screws for the tensioner can be used to maintain, and adjust alignment for the chain guide-Sweet!

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
thats very interesting,and you can adjust the derailer left and right using the screws on it. i just might have to try that,i have a derailer just like that laying around.
if i get mine done i will post pics too.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I think I've got the photo attached, sorry about the learning curve on the forum- But I can run my little Moondog to 38 smoooth on flat runs, and am reccomending this mod to anyone who can prep the parts. I found it very simple- here is the pick before flat black primer.
Matheneyr,
That looks like an OK set up and I hope it works well for you. I would make one suggestion that might keep you from having trouble down the rode. That small hole in your tensioner bracket should be used for a retaining screw or bolt that will assure the bracket does not eventually loosen and rotate into your spokes. Some use a bolt all the way through the chainstay with a nut on the wheel side, and others simply run a self tapping screw into the bracket and frame. Either way it will prevent a nasty situation if that tensioner slips or loosens.
Tom

Matheneyr3

Jun 4, 2009
Carolinas
Thanks Tom, appreciate the input- I hadn't thought of that. The hole is from a previous build using a smaller frame, with the oval tubing on the moondog-I hadn't thought to use the set screw I had drilled and tapped, from that build.
....Although now that You've mentioned it, and I'm rattling it around in melon- that will be the first tune up for the Doggy today- I've put nearly 100 miles on her since that mod- Work yesterday 40+, and all my runnin when I'm not haulin' the Wife and Kids around.
Thanks again, I've learned that the only thing worse than overlooking the obvious, is knowledge of a potential failure going unused.

Just to add- Ive found a great help in using Loctite repair Extreme all temperature as a thread locker- use it all my bolts, holds up to high temps, even on intake manifold bolts... without a good threadlocker, I would probably gotten frustrated/tired of maintenance on the moondog.
Richard.