nice looking build
but...

I think the idler on the drive side of the chain is gonna be a problem
I can't remember why, but I remember reading it should be on return side

Clotho

May 25, 2008
Hiya!

Great looking bike. Welcome!

Actually, you have a dérailleur. You can get rid of the idler completely. Just adjust the length of the chain from the motor so that when you adjust the wheel it is the correct tightness. The dérailleur will take up the slack on the pedal side.

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
Hiya!

Great looking bike. Welcome!

Actually, you have a dérailleur. You can get rid of the idler completely. Just adjust the length of the chain from the motor so that when you adjust the wheel it is the correct tightness. The dérailleur will take up the slack on the pedal side.
That only works when the rear wheel dropouts are sideways and not straight up and down like his appear to be. With no front to back movement of the wheel he can't do it like that.

burnclouds

Jun 17, 2009
ohio
I can't move the idler do to the way the frame bends in just below where the Idler is mounted the chain actually hits the frame grinding away. I have a steel grind plate that I have to replace every 100 -200 miles. Now being on the drive side I do have to re-adjust the idler position every 50 miles or so. This is definatly NOT the ideal bike for an in-frame 2-stroke. But it's what I had and it gets the job done.

Clotho

May 25, 2008
That only works when the rear wheel dropouts are sideways and not straight up and down like his appear to be. With no front to back movement of the wheel he can't do it like that.
The dropouts are at an angle. I have never seen any that were vertical. Even with the mounts at an angle I have been able to adjust the tension on the chain in this fashion. I have 4 bikes. 3 have angled dropouts. None have an idler.

captainrichhill

May 31, 2008
I have a derailer and I don't have any fwd/aft adjustment either. I have to use a tensioner also. But, I'm pretty sure that you want the tensioner on the return side due to the force of the engine on the chain is felt on the top run of the chain and slack on the bottom run. (during normal acceleration and cruise) The opposite is true for decceleration without the clutch pulled in.

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine
DON'T put the idler on the drive side. Not only will it steal power, the force on the chain will eat that plastic gear in no time at all.
Also, your coil is way to close to the top of the cylinder head. The heat will kill the coil, and possibly melt the wires.

But that is one good looking bike! I love the black engine. I should have gotten the black....
Would make it harder to see leaks though.