Propeller powered bicycle....awesome!

GoldenMotor.com

Jimigunne

Mar 27, 2009
Corpus Christi, Tx
I have a PK80 2-stoke motorbike, but I am planning my next powered bike. There is a video on Youtube of a guy who took a weedwacker engine, and attached a large RC airplane prop to the shaft.
I can't post a link, but look up "bicycle with weed wacker engine and propeller" This is cool beyond words! My next project is going to be a 4-stroke engine....I have a Cub Cadet CC4105 BENT-SHAFT weed-wacker which I could use for the project. Problem is this guy used what I guess was a straight-shaft weed wacker and put a 1.5:1 edger converter (45deg. angle) onto the end of the cut-down shaft. If I am understanding correctly, he has the prop geared up to turn 50% faster that the engine shaft. So I am thinking that if I just take the trimmer head off my weed wacker and attach a similar prop, it might not generate enough thrust, as it is only spinning at engine speed. So to be sure my installation will work well, I would need to know what RPM that 17.5 in prop is turning, as well as the pitch of the prop he used. I think also I would put a cage around the prop for safety...imagine what could happen if someone with long hair rode on it and leaned back a bit too far!

YouTube - Bicycle with weed wacker engine and propeller

Last edited by a moderator:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
If anything, you want to use a reduction, not a multiplyer for the prop, or just run it right off the shaft of the engine.

Bigger slower turning props are more efficient and will push your bike better.

a_dam

Feb 21, 2009
Momence, IL
I could see the benefits of a prop drive. Simplicity, no extra tire wear, no clutches or chains to worry about. But I would have to think that the efficiency is horrible. I'd be surprised if you get 15 mph on level ground with no wind running a 70cc wide open.
I could be wrong. I'd love to see it (ride it) in person. But I wouldn't put too much faith in a YouTube video!

Edit:

I guess even with a prop, you'd want a clutch in there somewhere. And you'd have to have a pull start (more parts).

Last edited:

Jimigunne

Mar 27, 2009
Corpus Christi, Tx
I have located a prop on ebay (although only a wooden one), a 20x8, to use. The shaft on weedeater should not be too difficult to cut down from the engine end, but there is a plastic spline that has to be knocked out of the cut-off engine end-piece, and re-inserted into the shortened end.

The original plastic tank is not suitable, as the filler neck will be oriented horizontally. So I will
use a much larger.5 gallon motor bike tank, the same one my PK80 kits has.

Most weedeaters are about 30 CC (this one is 26CC), so its' legal in Texas.

Once built and proven, I will add a prop shroud. Lots of people will be looking at this bike! I will use two bike wheel rims, and join them with a strip of hardware cloth about 4 in. wide. Some sort of hub (for the prop shroud) big enough to go around the shaft behind the prop will have to be engineered.

It is very easy to remove the on-shaft throttle, and use a standard bike shifting cable instead. Could use the standard PK80-type throttle/kill switch mechanism on the handlebar.

Can you imagine how long a little 26 CC engine would run on a .5 gal tank? And you just pull into any gas station to refill. Most, if not all, weedeaters have an integral centrifugal clutch, (this one does, as the spool stops turning at idle). So if you stop, the prop should stop, too.
The idea is to mount the engine on the rack over the rear wheel with pull-handle facing up.
Since it would be directly behind the seat, I don't think one could start it without dismounting.

I will probably just temporarily wire or tie-wrap the weed-eater with unmodified shaft length to the left side of the bike (like the guy in the youtube video) until problems (if any) with prop type and RPM are worked out. That way the weedeater isn't ruined for its original use.

A mount for the engine/prop can be made out of Home Depot steel perforated bracket material.
It should also be possible to engineer a muffler to increase power and quiet it down.

The big unknowns still to be worked out are what kind of thrust it will provide, and what will be the prop speed/load on engine.

frictiondrive

Jun 24, 2008
Fort Worth, Tx.
About 15 years ago I built an RC car using a 33cc weed wacker engine and airplane prop mounted to a much shortened shaft and inner flex springy thingy. My engine had a centrifugal clutch as well. It was so powerful, the car was uncontrolable and not worth the trouble, so I took the rig off the car and rigged it to my bicycles front handle bars and off me and it went! Neighbors thought I was nuts, but the thing would go about 10/20 mph. Problem was the prop wash blowing smokey exhaust all over me, so the best bet would be to put all that behind you!!! The other thing is the noise and the chance of someone coming in contact with the spinning blade. I even mounted two blade on the shaft end with the blade being rotated 90° to each other for more thrust. Good luck!

Cris

Jimigunne

Mar 27, 2009
Corpus Christi, Tx
Just wondering what size prop did you use? I noticed on my weedeater, that it does not take much extra drag to bog the engine down. If the four strings are only a couple of inches longer than
supposed to to be, its making that wizzing sound from the cutter hard, and the wide-open throttle RPM drops down a lot.

frictiondrive

Jun 24, 2008
Fort Worth, Tx.
Jimigunne,
I don't remember, but they were a good 12 to 14 inches in lenght. At the hobby shop I just asked for the biggest ones they had. A 3 blade prop would have been even better! I don't think the engine revved all that high under load, at least at a standstill. After you get up to speed, it may have less resistance and spin faster....don't know. The air turbulence/wash behind the prop's was like being in a wind tunnel!

Cris

captainrichhill

May 31, 2008
DANGER! DANGER! DANGER, Wil Robinson!!! Do you really want to have a spinning prop on any public property? That looks like a lawsuit and at the very least, a ticket from the POPO.

Jimigunne

Mar 27, 2009
Corpus Christi, Tx
Sure, it would be a danger to the public to ride up to the grocery store where the public is around.
So once the design is worked out, I will replace with some sort of composite prop that doesn't break, and construct a circular "cage", sort of like you find on air boats, but smaller. Hardware cloth, with two circular hoops of some sort, would be ideal.

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
You may want to build a metal duct to contain that blade within. There should be a very
close tolerance of 1/8 inch or less between the tip of the blade and the duct wall. This
will not only provide some safety but also a little more thrust. Bikeguy Joe is right about
the larger props giving more thrust and they also turn slower making less noise to do it.

If worse comes to worse, you could run some small copper tubing inside the duct ahead of the
prop with small holes drilled in it (anchor it down good) and feed liquid insecticide into it
to use it as a "Fogger" for misquito's. It would give you an excuse for operating something
like that around the neighborhood. LOL If the neighbors thought they were getting some
free misquito control for having to put up with the noise they may even chip in on a bottle
of insecticide if you ride up and down their street. Don't want anyone getting that "Nile River"
virus from those pesky misquito's. :D

Heck, they may even buy your gasoline and mix oil after they chip in on a gallon of Fog liquid
at Lowes. Perhaps they will call their friends in other neighborhoods and recomend you.
I've seen large diameter ABS plastic pipe used for duct on smaller props before. I guess you
could anchor it to a turntable and heat the edge as it turns and lip it outward a bit on the
front of the duct.

Attachments

Last edited:

captainrichhill

May 31, 2008
eDJ,
You crack me up!!!!!! I remember following that damn skeeter truck through our whole town. And ..............And...............And no ill affects. Imagine that. :)

geeksquid

Feb 14, 2008
Yesser Capt'n,

And armed with only a little imagination, those pesky skeeters will be the victums
of a new motorbike technology !
I guess he gave up on the prop bike.
It's actually not new technology at all. I've seen quite a few bikes with props in Popular Mechanics back to at least the 50s. I have pics of them all but can only find one small pic right now. Some had the props on the rear, some on the front. One was even a trike. And the inventor of the Moller Flying Car built a prop bike when he was a kid. I have a video clip of it from when the flying car was featured on History Channel a few years ago. It was a rear engine propped bike and was scooting along pretty good. It looked like no more than an 18" prop. I also have pics and even plans for several ice scooters that use the exact same engine/prop setup. One used an Indian motorcycle engine. I put a pic here but after submitting, not even the link is showing. Oh well.

Last edited:

geeksquid

Feb 14, 2008
The pic should show now. This is the largest prop I ever saw on a bike. All the other ones I've seen were at least half that size.

Attachments