Ruh Roh....

GoldenMotor.com

Zippster

Oct 8, 2008
Austin Texas
I just got my new ride successfully pimped back up to status with a new front rim, handlebars, and brake lever after my somewhat painful ditch-induced flip (third lifetime usage of the f-bomb!) when I cam out to ride to have my idle epic fail. It took me a minute to notice with the lack of useful light, but with a little bit of fiddling I noticed my idle adjustment screw - or lack thereof.

Boy do I just loooooooooooove karma! :-||

As a stopgap solution I've been able to keep 'er running by coarsely adjusting idle speed with the throttle cable tension, but the speeds are totally out of wack and a noticeable lack of power makes things all the worse. I can still ride it, but so much for all that fine-tuning work :-/

Therefor my question to the omniscient overlords of Motorbicycling is thus: where on God's green earth do I find a new idle adjustment screw? Its not as though these are unmarked, undocumented foreign Chinese engines or anything...

For now I just might plug the hole with a screw that fits it and adjust with the throttle cable, but understandably I'm a bit bummed for having the thing just fail on me right when I had it perfected.

And with that kind sirs, I make my leave

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Use a little loctight on the threads when you get a new one. It will help keep it there.
No, do not use Loctite on the idle screw...It will require occasional adjustment. That's what the spring is for; to keep it from vibrating loose. If the ideal setting for a good idle is achieved, which should be about 1 and a half to 2 turns out the spring pressure should hold the screw in. If not remove the spring and stretch it. But under no circumstances use thread lock compound on that screw.
Tom

wildemere

Feb 12, 2008
Newcastle
Its just a M4 screw with a turned down end.

Get a M4 x 25mm long screw and grind or file the end to a dome while removing the last 4mm of threads.

Don't forget the spring

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
...and don't run it with the screw missing, you are running it lean that way from the air that's being sucked in the opening! Really rough on the engine and you'll be recording your 4th use of the F bomba!