What About Bob(Push Trailer?)

GoldenMotor.com

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Anyone use a B.O.B. trailer as a push trailer? I'm gonna look at a used one in a few minutes. For $110, it should be a superstrong base for my 6.5hp push trailer..bld.

BOBgear | BOB Bike Cargo Trailers – do more with your bicycle!

Attachment to the bike is a quick-release axle skewer.

My bikes are cruiser bikes with solid axles. I KNOW I won't be able to attach it with a skewer because my rear axle carries a Staton freewheel sprocket.

Any suggestions how to connect the B.O.B. trailer to solid axles?

ANNNDD, has anyone installed a gas engine on a B.O.B. trailer?.bld.

Last edited:

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
That does look good. If you were able to not use up too much of the actual cargo space that would be nice. and over the wheel drive would be best, a small engine like the 49cc honda. Let us know if you decide to go with it. Have fun, Dave

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
it looks to me like it would try to push the bike straight in slow tight turns. maybe i'm not seeing something.
marvin, the trailer tucks closely to the bike. Its pivot point is less than an inch from the bike's rear fender. The engine can sit as close as 5" to that same pivot point.

In slow tight turns the engine is idling and I'm pedalling the bike..trk

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Well, I bought the 17-pound trailer.dance1

The frame is chromemoly with 70-lb. maximum payload. Engine weighs 32lbs; drivetrain, engine plate and toolkit might weigh 18lbs.

I'm good. Dropout might need widening and braces.

Trailer wheel is a 16"/28-spoke aluminum rim w/1.75" knobby tire and quick-release axle shaft. Dropout frame width is 99mm.

The 6hp Robin OHC engine's PTO shaft does not align with the wheel. Since a jackshaft is needed, maybe the trailer wheel can be replaced with a 16" Dahon wheel w/7-speed cassette.

That'd be MUCH cheaper than a Comet TAV-2 CVT unit.

Easy now, self.

Keep...it...simple.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
(QUOTE)Attachment to the bike is a quick-release axle skewer.

My bikes are cruiser bikes with solid axles. I KNOW I won't be able to attach it with a skewer because my rear axle carries a Staton freewheel sprocket.

Any suggestions how to connect the B.O.B. trailer to solid axles? (QUOTE)

GREAT news!!!dance1

The B.O.B. company makes "B.O.B. Nutz" adaptors to connect this trailer to bikes w/solid rear axles!

One less modification to make!.bld.

ZnsaneRyder

Nov 21, 2008
FLORIDA
5-7, how's the progress on the BOB?

Have you got your trailer shipped to you yet? I can't wait until you get your new 6HP Subaru on there!

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Znsane, I bought it used and picked it up from seller who lived less than half a mile away.

I'm working on it a bit today, trying to position engine and jackshaft.

Staton has the 14" mag and tire for $19.95. I called him and said I needed two of them. He has them but he can't seem to find the 20 mags on his property. :(

I couldn't wait, so I ordered this 16" mag on ebay:

16" mag wheel -tire & tube NEW rear bicycle with thread - eBay (item 280313795854 end time Feb-22-09 14:34:31 PST)

I believe that this wheel is a GREAT bargain. It includes tire, tube, axle and threaded hub. If I'm lucky it's threaded left and right side.

Basically the same mag wheel as Staton's but the same size as the wheel on "BOB", my push trailer.

Unfortunately the trailer's dropouts are 100mm distance; frame needs to be widened to accept 135mm axle width.

Trailer also needs mounting plates to accept engine and jackshaft. To strengthen the frame, the plates will span the width of the trailer.

$50 "BOB NUTZ" must be purchased to adapt the bike's solid rear axle to "BOB".

Also considering CVT, which I'll post a new thread for.

Having problems ordering from Staton; entire order was delayed because he couldn't find the wheel I needed. His UPS charges also murder me, so had to look elsewhere for parts.:-||

How's YOUR trailer coming along? Did you repair the oil seal?

Last edited:

ZnsaneRyder

Nov 21, 2008
FLORIDA
5-7HEAVEN, Excellent find on the proper sized wheel in a strong mag!!! Even if it's only right side, or both, you can use the jackshaft to get a sprocket right to it, so it's good either way with one of those!

Now about my trailer as you request, As far as the engine, it runs fine, but sprays out oil when warmed up. I gotta get an oil seal, and I'm just first making sure a Genuine Honda GX200 oil seal will exactly fit my Clone engine. A pressure washer site (go figure, lol) has them really cheap. GX Engine Parts

I'm putting my 6.5 on my new Trailer #2! So far I'm working on trailer #2 since I already have a brand-new Hilliard 10T #41 chain clutch, and a fat #40 chain and a pocket-bike wheel with a 32T #41 sprocket. The frame is done, I just need some bolts, and the hitch completed, and I'm going for 55mph goal. I'm hoping to make a BOB-similar hitch, as I'm rather impressed with it, and I think it will be better on a full-suspension MB being connected near the wheel, than going to the seat post.

Last edited:

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Znsane, thanks.

It's a new BMX wheel, built to be strong and take offroad abuse.

I'm leaning towards using it with single freewheel sprocket and COMET TAV-2 Torq-A-Verter.

All depends which sprocket the 16" wheel will accept..shft.

ZnsaneRyder

Nov 21, 2008
FLORIDA
Znsane, thanks.

It's a new BMX wheel, built to be strong and take offroad abuse.

I'm leaning towards using it with single freewheel sprocket and COMET TAV-2 Torq-A-Verter.

All depends which sprocket the 16" wheel will accept..shft.
Sweet.

That Comet TAV-2 will be bad ass! That would give you the torque for takeoff and hills, and the tall ratio for high speed, all in one! Much smoother operation as well. I'm excited to see how this trailer turns out. At least you know here, that folks are cool with the bike trailers.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Yeah, I'm trying to find the proper sprocket size to use from members who have used these before.

I'm expecting a LOT from the TAV-2; I've seen the difference when used on minibikes. Enough low end torque and gearing to buck the driver off the bike.dnut

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
"BOB" is still incomplete..bld.

Still missing 8t and 20t sprockets, throttle, reinforcing plates and extensive welding.

Frame dropout also needs widening.

Right now I'm working on "The Dragon Lady". Front engine problems.:-||

Znsane, you'll be the first to know when "BOB" runs its maiden voyage.

sheelistic

May 16, 2010
wpg. manitoba
hi i have recumbent with a baja mini bike as a push trailer. it is attached to the frame. when riding it you have to make very wide turns. it has a 97 hp engine in it . it goes fast enough to scare the sheit out me. cheers sheelistic