Electronic Speedometer Recomendations?

GoldenMotor.com
Aug 17, 2011
Springfield IL.
Id like to install a dedicated speedometer (no cell phone app) .

An inexpensive electronic speedo, with no hard wiring.

I prefer no sensor wires running down to the wheel.

Just a simple plug and play speedo.

Probably GPS based.

I don't mind a "diabetes test device" looking electronic zizmo.

Anyone have a suggestion?

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Upon seeing your topic I got interested myself and found nothing from a google search. I would think an actual GPS unit would be your best bet... I kind of want one now. Expect to spend at least around $50. I use the hard wired type bicycle computer, a sodlon off ebay. Something like $6 shipped. The handlebar mount breaks if you drop your bike, so I mounted it and my tach to a combined metal plate. I can still detach it by twisting it to the left. It is a good unit but does not have a full on backlight option for night riding, just two seconds of backlight when clicked.. I will figure something out.

knightscape

Jul 29, 2013
Maine
Do you explicitly want a GPS based unit or do you just want to know how fast you are going? GPS always has a little lag built in since it's speed is based on timed averages. It's not terrible but it will occasionally say something funky or hitch for a couple seconds. GPS and wheel sensor based units are drastically different price ranges, with GPS being the more expensive mostly.

There are lots of wireless bike computers out there like this:
http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1179993_-1_400127__400127

Doesn't do GPS, but gives you an accurate read on speed, distance, averages etc. I've had several Sigma brand computers and been happy with them all. Also, anything by Cateye, or Vetta. The read out goes on your bars or stem, and the sensor attaches to a fork leg usually with zip ties and a small magnet attaches to one spoke.

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Hey I made a mistake... If you look a few threads down you will find Mike B posted about his Garmin... Speed, distance, route, and no wires. But why no wires?

Aug 17, 2011
Springfield IL.
Like I said, I want something with no sensors/wires.
Simply a handlebar mounted speedometer.
The Garmin that Mike B featured is very close to what I am looking for, although it seems like it shows average speed, and Max speed, but I don't believe it shows CURRENT speed.
Id like something that shows current speed.
And the reason for not wanting sensors/wires is simplicity, and I feel like its not an accurate way to measure speed due to the fact that if you move the sensor higher/lower on the spoke, it will have an ill effect on the reading.
I think GPS is the way to go, but Ive never owned one, so I don't know!
That is the whole purpose of this thread!
So again I ask:
Id like to install a dedicated speedometer (no cell phone app) .

An inexpensive electronic speedo, with no hard wiring.

I prefer no sensor wires running down to the wheel.

Just a simple plug and play speedo.

Probably GPS based.

I don't mind a "diabetes test device" looking electronic zizmo.

Anyone have a suggestion?

knightscape

Jul 29, 2013
Maine
Just to clarify, a wheel sensor based unit isn't affected by position on the spoke. In the initial setup you program in your wheel circumference and it does the math every time that sensor comes around (usually a very simple process). Makes no difference where the sensor is actually located since one rotation is one rotation.

On the GPS side, pretty much any GPS (Garmin Edge 200 included) will show you current speed, and all the logging type stuff that GPS is really useful for too. You can see where Garmin says it will do speed readout at: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/into-sports/cycling/edge-200/prod90675.html and if you look at the "More Images" link there you can see what the readout looks like.

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
The wired type will give you the most accurate instantaneous speed readout, because it only take two wheel revolutions to get a read. A regular gps such as a Garmin or tomtom will also give current speed, but it is not so accurate, because the current speed is measured over a much longer distance than 6ft.

Where the magnet is on the spoke doesn't affect your reading, but it should be closer to the axle so that you can position it 5mm from the sensor on your fork leg.

What it comes down to, is you need a way to measure distance and time, and there are basically four ways of doing this: airspeed, water speed, wheel speed, and gps speed. There is no magical gizmo that straps on and doesn't use one of four above methods.

GPS is probably the way to go. The tomtom in a family car shows instant speed all the time, but doesn't refresh frequently. But it has a wire coming from it to plug into 12vdc.

It is somewhat better than my bike computer, because the backlight is always on which is good for night riding. If I had more money I would put a gps on the handlebars myself... But those motor vibrations could destroy it.

You could look into motorcycle gps units. They will likely still have wires for power, though.

Your request is fairly specialized, I won't argue one is better than the other, but most people including me are ok with one wire and a magnet, so I think you might have to do your own research on this one. It won't be cheap either. Let us know what ya find.

Aug 17, 2011
Springfield IL.
Thanks guys!

It seems like Mike B's Garmin is the way to go. Looks like they are priced at less than $100 for a refurb. Im going to check with a few local bike shops, and see if they offer something similar.

Thanks for the input!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
There has been a lot of discussion here regarding speedometers and the problems encountered with interference from the engine ignition system.

You'll want to keep that in mind especially with a wireless setup. Try the 'Seach' and type in 'speedometer'. You'll have lots to read, positive and negative, on that subject.

Tom

dtv5403

May 4, 2015
USA
As far as phone apps go, they are actually pretty accurate. On my last bike, I used a computer program to calculate my gear ratio and top speed. It is a very good program because it accounts for friction losses and probably other things that affect top speed as well. Knowing my gear ratio and my engines Max rpm, the program told me my top speed should be 32mph. I bought a handlebar mount for my phone and my top speed according to my speedo app was consistently 32mph the entire time I had that bike. Every time I hit this one slight decline on my way to work, my top speed jumped to 34 until I got to the bottom of the decline lol. But every time on a flat, 32 was my top speed and I liked to cruise around 28-30.what I did was use a phone that no longer had service, there are some really cheap android phones you can get on eBay if you just want it for a GPS, it will work and be much cheaper than a garmin or whatever. Just putting my $0.02 in, that's all.

Aug 17, 2011
Springfield IL.
Thanks for the input guys!
I believe GPS is the way to go.

I currently use a GPS based speedometer app on my cell phone for free and I experience no RF interference problems at all.

I was hoping to get a response from Mike B about his recent purchase of the little Garmin Edge 200.

The Garmin is GPS based, and is nice and small, and water-proof to a certain degree.

I never got a response from Mike, so I went ahead and pulled the trigger and purchased a refurb unit from ebay for $92 shipped.
Time will tell......

I choose to go with a dedicated unit, in case it gets lost or stolen, or wet!
And its small enough that it could be worn like a watch, or mounted on handlebars without looking obnoxious.

dtv5403

May 4, 2015
USA
Walmart has waterproof handlebar mounts for cellphones now, I'm gonna get one soon. Getting a better phone soon and just going to use this one for GPS from then on.