Busted!

GoldenMotor.com

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
I'm Bumming! Somebody buy me a beer!

OK, true fact is I was technically in the wrong so there is no weaseling out of this. I did a "slow and go" right turn at a light. In my defense the opposing traffic was in the left turn phase so nobody was coming through the intersection and I was turning into a bus/bike lane not traffic but Officer Friendly decided that I was a threat to society and pulled me over. The good news is that since this is written up as a bicycle I can't get any points against my licence. The bad news is that it will cost me $192 to go to traffic school to get the ticket dropped. My other options are to pay a $280 fine, go to court (and pay a $280 fine), or play warrant roulette. I think I'll go to school! So, where's that beer!

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
ouch. That's a large ticket for such a small offense. Bummer.

But hey, now you've got 2 other people that aren't going to fudge stops any more :)

Weedylot

Angry Old Fart
Jun 12, 2008
Tucson Arizona
Gee whiz! Finfan, you ARE an outlaw!
The City of Tucson has lost a considerable amount of tax revenue lately; it was on the early local news this morning. It looks like they're gonna tighten the screws on traffic. Luckily they are cutting back on cops on bicycles and SOME of the traffic enforcement. I usually stop at signs, but not always. The ones I run are in residential areas though, where I can can clearly see whats coming up the road.
I'm disappointed to hear about your criminal activity Finfan, I'm not sure if I wanna be seen riding with such a low life like you! :D
I would fight the ticket, I've never won a single traffic case, but I keep trying. My last moving violation was in the eighties.
BTW: On this AM news, a man attacked a radar/photo enforcement camera with a pickaxe. He got busted red handed by a MC cop. The camera wasn't damaged, only the box it was in was dented.

Last edited:

Technocyclist

Motorized Bicycle Senior Technologist
Jul 7, 2008
Asia
I always follow stop signs. That's because I witnessed once a motorcycle rider got hit by taxi when he passed through a stop sign while I was in another car. The rider flew into the air about 5 feet. Ruined his bike. He was not wearing any helmet, but I think he was still able to walk.

Stop signs are there for a reason. It's for our safety, and the safety of other people. Don't be selfish. Safety first. If you want to disregard your own safety, don't involve other people. You're not the only one who's using the road you know. Don't go through stop signs, unless you're looking for some real pain mentally, physically, and financially. It's just not worth it. Even if you have insurance. If you do pass through stop signs, just make sure your memorial plan is fully paid, that is if you have one.

So sorry to hear what happened to you, but it could have been worse... Lessons learned the hard way.

so here's your beer... :D

Attachments

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
"Born to be mild" snork snork, rotfl I was singing that at last yrs EC rally. There were drinks, a failed muffler and a slipping gas tank involved. was funny.

Bacon

Nov 12, 2008
Tempe, Arizona
Bummer. I have been stopped twice but haven’t been ticketed yet.
We have one cop in Scottsdale I call the motorized bike Nazi. He seems to despise anyone that rides a motorized bicycle. It seems to me that he thinks we are all kids or criminals trying to avoid the states licensing and insurance laws. I just avoid Scottsdale as much as possible. For those of you the live in the area, the guy drives an unmarked black Dodge Charger.

I pedal through red lights and blow through stop signs all the time when I am traveling in the early morning hours and there is little to no traffic. In the afternoon I stop all of them. There are some lights that won’t change unless there is a car waiting. At those I will stop and continue when safe to do so. Making a right hand turn from one bike path to another the only way you are going to get hit is if some idiot swings his left so wide he or she winds up in the bike path.

I figure eventually I will get ticketed. It is against the law and these laws are there to keep us alive but I hate sitting at a light when there is no reason other than the light being red. Although not as frequently, I do it in my car too. The stop signs I blow through are in an empty shopping mall parking lot at 7:00 am. I don’t go into that parking lot in the afternoon. I doubt I would make it out alive, especially this time of year.

It’s probably the wrong attitude but Arizona laws are so restrictive for motorized bikes I figure if I am going to break one of them (exceeding 20 mph) I shouldn’t worry too much about the rest of them, as long as I am not putting myself or anyone else in danger.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Not too long before I got my MB I saw a guy on a pedal bike blow through a stop sign and get pulled over. (I was on my pedal bike coming in the opposite direction) I thought it was funny.

I hate stopping on uphills, but I do it anyway because I have to. Sometimes at a residential T and I'm turning right I will just slow almost to a stop, but that's about as far as I push it.

FileStyle

May 27, 2008
Decatur,IL
I only go through the redlights that dont change when you pull up to it unless your in a vehicle! otherwise you might be sitting for a while! look both ways and go!!!!

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Straight from TPD Sargent Figueroa...."We are cracking down on Motorized Bicycle and will ticket them till they get off the road"

Mr. Figueroa is my friends dad.

So....watch out guy's and DO NOT give them a reason to pull you over.

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
Straight from TPD Sargent Figueroa...."We are cracking down on Motorized Bicycle and will ticket them till they get off the road"
OK, now THAT really torques my shorts! I hope you are not too fond of this guy FR31 because I am going to try to take him to task for it! :-|| I am heading for a HUGE butt whuppin', but I am going to try anyway!

Weedylot: You shouldn't make such statements even as a joke on a public forum. That's a good way to invite the FBI to your doorstep! The internet is a dangerous place! :eek:

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
No I hate the guy....but I cannot say that he speaks for TPD. This was at my friends house and he was off duty. He's been like that ever since we where kids.
He has always made threats at me....he always tells me that he will bust by butt if he ever see's me on the street...I've heard that since the 90's.
Him and his son do not get along, in fact my friend had him arrested several times for beating up his Mom. So he hates anybody that is friends with his son. He has even threatened my other friend who is a DPS officer...he says we are all pot heads lol.

But, I do know for a fact that their is TPD officers who will do anything to keep us off the road. Can't say for sure that he really feels that way or he just does not like me because I am a pot head lol rotfl Last I heard he was not on the streets anymore and works behind a desk.

But I am sure that conversions has been shared between other officers...in their minds we are Motorcycle and no matter what laws there is, thats the way they are going to look at it.

I know that can make someone angry with what he said, but if you knew him like I do its nothing but hot wind.

But still, watch out!! Their are officers who will pick on us. And I do have to admit I've meet more that like our MB's then those that want us off the road.

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
Well at least you don't have to wear "pink boxers" in a land you don't want to know rotfl
Arripo's county Maricopa is insane. Pay the fine! $2274.30 164 mph west bound on I-10 on Sunday. 8:00 A.M. No traffic at all.
They dropped the court cost. 72 hours + One week picking up trash, 20 hrs. Kiss my sweet tires AZ. Hope everone leaves and you. MHHhhh, AZ.