loss of power and engine just dies, can anyone help??

GoldenMotor.com

xmufinman13x

Nov 27, 2008
frederick, md
hi, i just got my 80cc bike kit and i finished putting it on my bike 2 days ago. yesterday i rode it and it ran fine and i had tons of fun. but towards the end of the day it just lost power. this morning i tried to start it but it did the same thing. it will start and run a right for a few seconds then it will lose power and completely stop. i think this may be a problem with the carburetor, but i'm new to these engines and i was wondering if anyone could help?:ride:

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Make sure your choke is operating properly.

Check the torque on your intake bolts and head bolts and spark plug.

With the motor running, spray carb cleaner or wd-40 on the intake where it meets the motor, and where the carb meets the intake. Any change in engine speed means an air leak. Seal it up with RTV sealant on both sides of the gasket, and a little on the intake before you slide the carb on.

xmufinman13x

Nov 27, 2008
frederick, md
hey thankz for the response. i started doing the things you said but then i noticed that there was a small amount of black liquid dripping from the exhaust pipe. what does this mean?

TexasDav

Aug 19, 2008
Houston
That is just oil residue, that is good because you are following the recomended oil gas mix, but during break-in the plug fouls real easy, Might be your plug is fouled.

TexasDav

Aug 19, 2008
Houston
I used 20 to 1 but the extra oil does foul the plug quick but keeps the motor cool and lubed. I went to 32 to 1 but returned to 20 to 1 and just carry an extra plug with me in case it fouls out. If your supplier says 16 to 1 then do that, I follow directions because those guys are the ones who give the warrantee so if you run into problems you can call them up. Using too little oil is worst then too much.

xPosTech

The Old Master Motorized Bicycle Builder
Oct 23, 2008
SETexas
Using too much oil can be detrimental, too. It can cause carbon buildup, sticking rings and I'm sure some other problems as well. Use recommended mixtures.

Sticking rings can eventually break.

Ted

xmufinman13x

Nov 27, 2008
frederick, md
i opened up the bulb on the very bottom of the carb and inside there was a white floater or bobber with a hole in the middle, like a donut. and there was a metal screw with a very small hole through it and it was used to pass gas through. well it was resting in the bulb when it was supposed to be screwed in the bottom of the carb. since it wasn't screwed in, gas wasn't getting passed into the engine.

Attachments

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
lol, wait, the jet was just sitting in the bowl not screwed into anything? Just hangin out, rattling around?

haha, gotta love these motors.