Do we need a " belt driven" thread?

GoldenMotor.com

Moto pope

Mar 26, 2013
St. James, mo
It may not have enough interest, but just wonder if it would be of help. I planned my current (which is also my first) project to Be a belt drive, but decided to go chain when I couldn't find enough info. I've since learned of this forum and the search capabilities, but it would have helped to have em all in one.spot. Btw, my next build will be belt drive.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
need?
well, maybe...

Build some activity in a thread....
Take a tip, Leave a tip has a life of it's own, as does What did you do to your motorbike today?....

Start a Belt Drive Only thread with a good information base and it could very easily take off.

I think belt drive is a fine drive method at this horsepower level and there are great possibilities with the toothed-belts, also... at least one bicycle uses a belt. Trek???

Good luck
rc

livesteamfan

Oct 24, 2009
Palmetto, FL
It sounds like a good idea. I believe there's at least four or five bikes on here that uses just a belt drive; whether it be direct off the engine or through a jackshaft. I know that user dsmith has a very nice setup and I pretty much copied his for mine and am planning on redoing it on a different frame with a lever controlled tensioner instead of the foot pedal. Belt drive is probably the best choice for a drive system for people that don't want to spend a lot on some kind of chain drive or don't want a friction drive; so for people like that there is a lot of information to be wanted and to be given by the people that already have it.

Moto pope

Mar 26, 2013
St. James, mo
My original, and most compelling, interest in "belt drive" centers in the vintage look/style the system gives to a project Most of the bikes which have served as inspiriation (1910-1920) use belts. My guess is that a primitive technology in roller chain,at the time, was the driving force behind the belts use in those early machines. Anyhow, I am certainly not too proud to learn from other peoples experience (i. e. mistakes ???) as I make my own.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
We may have more members installing Briggs style motors if the belt drive info was easy to find. The belt drive is the simplest way to install the bigger motors because a big sheave eliminates the need for a jackshaft and a hand operated belt tensioner eliminates the need for a clutch.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
We may have more members installing Briggs style motors if the belt drive info was easy to find. The belt drive is the simplest way to install the bigger motors because a big sheave eliminates the need for a jackshaft and a hand operated belt tensioner eliminates the need for a clutch.
With most engines a jackshaft is still necessary to get a low enough gear reduction, and also necessary for alignment without offsetting the engine. Maybe a single primary belt setup could work with Briggs and similar engines, but I've never seen it done.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
If you want to look at some bikes to get some ideas for belt drive if suggest looking at fellow member "MSRFAN" bikes. He helped me a lot with advice to get my belt drive bike up and running.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Mr. B has done all that on his Excalibur. I've learned a lot studying his build thread, pretty good instruction.
Were you addressing me then? Do you mean the single belt drive setup? If so doesn't he have a jackshaft and primary and secondary belts?....... Mr B's Excalibur is a beautiful bike and IMO the best bike on this site. I love it!!!!

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
There is also my 3 belt twin jackshaft set up for about 40:1 reduction. Gas is guzzled, though I tried it in the woods and it climbs nicely. Engine braking down the slopes too!

One day when I can get a space to be working on it again the art cover to convert to slow parade fish mobile, it could be said it drinks gas like a fish;)

MT

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=29678&page=13

Gbrebes

Jul 16, 2010
Los angeles
I am available to answer any questions I am able to about belt driven bikes. I built a bike with a briggs motor, belt primary, and belt secondary, with a cvt clutch and jackshaft. The name of my build thread is "Roadmaster Project" I learned a lot from msrfan as well, he's very helpful.

Its pretty simple to do. The most fiddly thing was determining the correct size belts. They are measured a funny way (to me) and it took a while to figure out just the right size.

Anyone who seeks information can contact me through PM or on this thread.

Gilbert

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I'm also planning to do a belt drive, so am signing on to this thread. How about providing links to builds using belt drive? Harry 76's Villiars build gives a lot of good information... Mr. B, all of the Briggs builds. There are probably others as well.
SB

Gbrebes

Jul 16, 2010
Los angeles
Here's a link to mine. Its a long thread and not a lot of specific belt related stuff, but like I said, I can answer questions or take more detailed pictures.

One of msrfan's bikes. Here

Another msrfan bike. Here

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
I forgot! Otero has done this, and even gave me a little guidance on assembly. Thanks Otero!
This idea struck me a while ago and I started getting some general info together, then got busy with my chain drive.

Has anyone seen the Gates Belt system yet? Looks to me like you'd get by with a skinnier belt for the same drive capability.