Shimano rear cassette on cruiser?

GoldenMotor.com

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
Hello all. I got a couple of running bikes, and I intend to build (gasbike) one and use the other for parts.

I would like to know if anyone has experience with putting a rear cassette and derailer on a Del Mar Cruiser? I have no idea if this is even possible. It seems that I would simply gain two pedal speeds- is this correct? If so, would I benifit from a smaller pedal crank? I assume I will need a longer axle?

And finally, can anyone recommend a place where I can look at exploded diagrams of rear motorized bicycle wheel set-ups? I don't even know what should, and should not be between my chainstays!

1) The donor
2) The donor shifter
3) Pedal side- my current rear hub set-up. Works- but .spr.it ain't right. It is a motorbicycles.com heavy duty rear wheel kit.

A million thanks for any help.

Attachments

Last edited:

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
You can easily install gears on most bikes. The frame may need to be spread a bit but it should work.

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
That's good news- thanks!

So I'll have 3 pedal speeds, any thoughts on a smaller crank?

I'm not sure what it's called, but the part of my hub that the (again unsure- rear gear, the pedal chain goes to it, not a brake) threads onto, isn't wide enough now, let alone with this cassette. You can see in the 3rd pic.

Any ideas?

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Easy way is to switch rear wheels to one with gears. Find a parts bike and swap the back half.