clutch key

GoldenMotor.com

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Trey you can try pinging the keyway in the shaft at each end of the key, we do this all the time in industrial reduced gearing.

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
Greg58- In order to limit the movement of the key, either inward or outward, within the keyway? Or in this case, would it serve to ping only the outer-end of the keyway? This idea could be my solution. What tool (hardness etc) would you recommend for dimpling the keyway? Any worries you can think of?

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Any typical center punch that fits down into the key way should work fine.
Worries? Don't use a 10lb sledge hammer to strike the center punch. You don't want to bend the shaft any.

A side note, I used to center punch the key itself, not the shaft. Do both ends of the key, both sides. Don't go in the middle of the key as that's the area that rides in the gap between the shaft and clutch. You want the dimples to be down in the key way groove. Some gentle tapping with a small hammer to get the key down into the key way and the key is stuck there until you remove it.

Not better or worse that center punching the shaft, just a different solution to the same problem.

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
I can see both in my head, which is scary, but I think working the pin rather than the shaft itself may be better in the long run. Just in case. Too bad about the hammer, I'm a barn farmer, plenty of sledges layin around. Thanks!

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Dimpled key at outer mid point, both sides, locking it into the keyway. Test rode it around the block, turned it on and off etc- it worked. My clutch is now stuck in the engaged position. I am told it should always be engaged anyway. I'll figure it out, and lock it in the engaged position 'permenentlly'. Good thing I enjoy tinkering...

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
40+ degrees here again (Big Sky Montana) so I've been riding around in the ice and slush. No idea how fast, but 20 for sure. If I had studded tires, it would go right thru the snow- does some now.
I do like tinkering and I'm glad I'll be having to, some. Learning a lot here and in the workspace. This bike was operational when it was parked a couple of years ago, so I'm not really doing that much. I believe I have 16 man-hours invested. Of course, the fella I got it from has only one hand so I had to re-do alot. Yes, assembled with one hand. Outstanding! Thank you gentleman.

Last edited: