Blind Spot Mirrors

GoldenMotor.com

littletinman

May 15, 2012
Gaithersburg, MD
I picked up a few "Spot Mirrors" from advance auto parts a few weeks ago and they've been a life saver when riding in traffic.

They handle vibrations great and the amount of viewing area they provide is far superior than the flat mirrors. They sell for like 2.50 each over here in MD. I just stuck them on your basic bent arm bike mirror.

Only weird part is getting used to the "things in mirror are closer than they appear" factor.

Attachments

cmanns

Jul 1, 2012
Santa Cruz, California
Nice, do they help you not look behind? This would be my only complaint about biking (havnt since 14 till I built this MB)

I look back to see if theres cars on roads with no bike lane, and then theres a parked car and i have to either stop or go on the sidewalk cause theres never enough room on my cities roads to go next to parked cars and have cars pass you.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I concur with the use of 'spot mirrors'. I have a set of mirrors from an early 70s Honda 70 that are convex and I have another one I use a stick-on spot mirror on. They give me a nice wide angle view of what's sneaking up behind me. They do take some getting used to in judging distance but when you get accustomed to the distorted image they are great.
Good safety feature. Thanks for sharing.

Tom

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I have a Zsefal bar-end mirror, which doesnt provide as much visibility as a spot mirror, but it does provide just enough to see behind me. It was free, and since I have straight bars, I can't use a bent-arm mirror on my bike, at least not the ones I have seen, because they dont stick out far enough to see. But perhaps I could get a stick-on spot mirror that would give me more visibility. I am gonna look into it.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I remember using the clip on tiny mirror that goes on a helmet, I might see about finding one of those again.

May not be quite the same as the convex mirror stick on, but that helmet with the clip on mirror and a whistle was new to me when regular pedal only bike touring. Covered 1000 miles in a month and a half with out an accident.

MT

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
I remember using the clip on tiny mirror that goes on a helmet, I might see about finding one of those again.

May not be quite the same as the convex mirror stick on, but that helmet with the clip on mirror and a whistle was new to me when regular pedal only bike touring. Covered 1000 miles in a month and a half with out an accident.

MT
I had one of those on my bike helmet... it worked really well. They cost around $25 here. Mine got broken quite a while ago, and I haven't been near a store to get another since I switched to the Voss M/C helmet I wear now. So far any handlebar mounted mirror I've tried picks up too much vibration, and eventually changes position on me (except for the small mirror in the end of the handlebar that I use... it holds pretty well.)