Ebike Headlight

GoldenMotor.com

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
I ordered up one of these;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-12w-l...Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item257549e139

And it arrived today. Very nice well made piece.

But does it work as advertised? Only 1 way to find out. This has a constant current switching regulator and runs off anything from 12 to 90 VDC. Perfect for ebikes. So I connected it to a 24 volt power supply and took it out to the backyard. Here's the before

Pretty dark eh?

Not any more

Most impressive! Very good unit.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
WOW! now that is what i call an electric bike headlight. awesome unit mike. if i rode my ebike at night i would defiantly have to have one. to cool. off course they will not send here anyway lol.

xenodius

May 23, 2012
Spokane, WA
Pretty cheap considering it's probably at least $20 for the LED's and driver. I'd like to get a couple of those just because hey, 24 watts is nothing on an ebike and I want my lights to be impressive =) Far cheaper than this CycleAnalyst addon: http://www.ebikes.ca/lights/

The only advantage of running it through the CA is the optional "no-battery" mode where it basically uses a graded percent of regen to run the CA and the lights, even if the battery pack is dead or not connected.

I'd like to use their red waterproof lights on the sides of my rear dropouts and wire them up as brake-lights... but that'll be a finishing touch. I need the ebike first =D

How did you mount it? I don't like the looks of the bracket, though I love the housing... that's the only caveat. It'd look good with springer forks =)

Reminds me of the light housing on this bike, except Tench added a halo-ring LED-strip for low-beams: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=37489&start=180

Last edited:

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
It's not mounted yet, still in the box. Will go under the basket above the tire.

I don't think you need 2 of these. I am somewhat concerned that 1 will piss some people off - :)

The bracket is actually pretty nice, stainless steel construction. I may change to alum angle just for better heat dissapation.

xenodius

May 23, 2012
Spokane, WA
Basket should be a good mount! You think it'll piss people off? I feel like as a bike you should be allowed to have brighter-than-a-car headlights for safety's sake, as long as you don't blind people a well-illuminated road is a good thing =)

I'd like to put mine on the bars or the stem if I had two. I find that the most troublesome thing for me with things like this is sourcing basic parts like brackets and whatnot.

Can't wait to get the bike together. Hopefully going to order my cafe hybrid over this next week...

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i just got in the mail my electric bicycle headlight and it is awesome. 2 In 1 SKYRAY 5000 Lm 3x CREE XM-L T6 LED Bicycle bike HeadLight. has three bulbs and you can turn on 1,2 or all three and it is bright. as bright as any car headlight i have seen. battery pack has a nice long cord so i can keep it in the bag on the rear rack. here are the specs on it. cost was $48.00 shipped from china

Model of LED: 3x XM-L T6 LED
Max Output:5000 lumens
100% Waterproof design
Material:Aluminum,
4 switch Mode: 1xCREE XML T6/2x CREE XML T6 /3x CREE XML T6 / Flashing
Low Power Warning:Low Power Red light Warning
100v-240v Battery Charger ( LED indication for Power On / Charging / Full charge )
Model of Battery required: 1 x 8.4v 6400mAh Battery Pack
LED Life Span: around 50,000 hours
Color : Black
Dimension : around 60mm
Weight : 180g

Attachments

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
lotta bikes are either 12v or 6v........thats gonna have to be kept an eye on always and charged seperately.......neat that its LED though

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i can actually get a voltage converter for the 48v battery to run it. haven't decided yet. all i know is it makes it seem like daylight out when i use it and really happy with it

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
here is a street outside our condo. sorry blury but you will get the idea. it is one heck of a light. the pot hole full of water on the left is about 1.5 feet deep.

Attachments

Stoney

Jan 23, 2009
santa barbara
That is truly good. I need one of these!!! Can you show it mounted on your bike as well. I can't believe the coverage. Doesn't it come with it's own battery to recharge? If so whats the stats? If you give me a link I will look at it. I looked it up before and I didn't find to much info and I definitely didn't see pics like that. It seems like every bike should have one of these - FOR THE PRICE YOU PAID this is a must have. Sorry for the dramatics but I am being honest.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
here is a link to one on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-In-1-SKYR...032?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27ce1c2ae8 shop around though. i got mine for $48.00 shipped. yes battery is separate but nice long cord so you can stick it in your pocket or paniers or back rack. the case the battery is in also has a velcro strap so you can strap the battery anywhere you like on the bike. i was amazed when i first turned it on. i have never seen anything like it. it is an awesome light for sure

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
That headlight is amazing! I was wondering about the actual performance of the CREE headlights, those look bright enough for 60 mph!

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
the one cree light lights up the road as good if not better then my car does with high beams on. 60mph on a bicycle. not this old man lol

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
found another great use for this light. it comes with a headstrap which was awesome working on the brakes or anything else when you want some extra light or want a better inspection of a small part

Attachments