Thought criticism of HT bicycle engine chain was unfounded...

GoldenMotor.com

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
Looked OK, looked purty sturdy enough.
Now just the other day I notice bends and twists in the link plates (chains do that?).

Looking further today it looks like the plates are widening out on the pins, I'm worried they will widen right off the pins.

Is the #41 chain less wide than the stock #415

Can I find #41 at a motorcycle shop.
Or best and cheap on ebay?
Cheap because I am unemployed now and good quality so I don't have to re-buy soon.

In the meantime I may squeeze the plates back in and center punch the pins.

Repairing stuff instead of buying new is what you do when you have lots of time, but no money.
At least gas money is not an issue.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Re: Thought criticism of HT chain was unfounded...

Go with the #41 chain, Ace hardware carries it as does many other industrial suppliers.
Grainger, Tractor Supply, Canadian Tire, etc.
The kit supplied #415 is notorious for premature wear, twists, kinks and binding.
You'll never look back and you'll get a lot of bang for your buck.

Tom

Last edited:

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada

take a piece of leftover chain and bend it a couple times.
you wont like the results.
41 is wider,i have an issue with the chain rubbing the case behind the sprocket.
i may need to tweek the alignment to clear the casting behind the sprocket.i ground the knobs off the left side of the tire for a little more room.

auto value parts stores,any farm supply,even the tractor dealerships carry roller chain.

Last edited:

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012

No, I don't want wider.

Grainger, as in Acklands Grainger?
I will have to go there and Canadian Tire.
Anywhere I get it locally I will save on postage.

I thought 415 was an odd duck size?

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.

I've personally never had any problems using the stock kit chains... I think it all really depends on sprocket & chain alignment, & how well you install the rear sprocket.

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012

I did have some issues with my homemade spring tensioner, I must admit I've had a few chain lockups in the drive gear, and my loosening chain wrecked my setup and it got twisted, my tensioner arm and chain.

So yeah I guess some of it is my fault.

However, I removed all that and near perfectly centered the rear sprocket.

I am just using the stock tensioner now and no longer having major troubles.

Perhaps I will take pliers to the chain, center punch the pins and get some more life out of it.
Or get a new one that's just better.

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada

i was cleaning up my 49cc for welding,and got a good look at what contacted the case and broke it.
what happened is one side plate of the chain cracked by the link pin,it flipped up and hit the case,broke it off where the drive sprocket cover mounts.i'm not trusting the supplied chains anymore.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado

I've personally never had any problems using the stock kit chains... I think it all really depends on sprocket & chain alignment, & how well you install the rear sprocket.
Norm is correct but if he doesn't mind I'd like to add that if you decide to use the kit chain you first inspect it. Lay it stretched out flat on a smooth flat surface and check for twist. I had one that was twisted about 45 degrees and would not lay flat. I've also seen binding rollers/side plates that will cause chain jumping. Check for this by running the full length of the chain over your finger and watch for links that can't make the curve smoothly.
I too have used the kit chains but to eliminate the potential troubles they have I prefer the #41.

As for properly preparing the driven sprocket (rear) I use a metal finishing pad on a Makita side grinder to smooth and slightly taper the teeth. From the factory every rear sprocket I've ever seen had rough edges on the teeth that can contribute to a rough running chain. Of course it goes without saying that chain alignment and tension are critical to a smooth running chain drive on any application.

Tom

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia

There are still kits that have 410 or standard chain, that chain will not last long. I always recommend when buying a engine kit to make sure it comes with the 415.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan

There are still kits that have 410 or standard chain, that chain will not last long. I always recommend when buying a engine kit to make sure it comes with the 415.
410 can last just fine, but I'm sure your point is that kit chains tend to be generic. This is often true of the supplied 415 as well.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia

If you need narrower chain a good bmx chain will work, my son inlaw runs the type with gold side plates. It looks fairly strong, the chain that came with our kits were very low quality. If you have a bike shop close by count the links and have them cut it to length.

Last edited:

zatdattyo

Apr 13, 2012
Tennessee

Wow I know about the chain thang, Mine snapped too. Ive since added a piece of cut out circular plastic to the inside of the tentioner wheel to keep it out of my spokes. Bought a new chain. took out another link. Its got about a 1/4 inch or so wiggle movement now. That seemed to work. Now just to get my seat adapter on I got from pirate cycles, My bike is an ole Beach Cruzer type but its rhe old farm bike w/ the balloon tires and the frames are a little longer so its not a sure fit kinda thing w/ this Turd. I built mine to resemble A board racer. But So far its been on the board more than on the road...lol Om an old guy so I have to get some comfort going on w/ this seat thing. The post tube on this old bike has a rod comming out of it to the seat of about ( 5/8 OD ). 7/8 OD is the smallest Pirate has on there post. But the ID on it is just a hair under 5/8, So im gonna try to bore out the new Pirate post ID just a hair to Jam in the old rod, then "BINGO" once again a little Shade tree machanic know how.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia

A BMX chain eh, I like that idea.
They are slightly bigger than a regular bike chain.
Any problems with sprocket teeth being too big, like would I have to take a file to the teeth?

Would I have to buy 2?
This is cool, a chain made of 0.5 links.
One chain should do it unless you have a reeealy long chain run. Try to get a KMC brand #410H. "H" indicates heavy duty.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA

I snapped the kit chain the first week, the master link failed, I mended the chain replacing the few damaged links and it snapped again a couple days later. I"m pretty sure it was 410 chain, it was garbage. I got enough #41 chain to outfit two bikes for about $10 bucks, I think I went through amazon if I recall correctly, from AceHardware through Amazon (cause my local ace didn't stock any). I've never had a problem since, this chain is solid and is gonna last. It is wider, but I didn't have any problems with rubbing anywhere at all, I was worried at first but after so much riding I forgot about it and never had to think about the chain again. So it's gonna be #41 chain on all my bikes from now on... That being my opinion, take it for what its worth....