Name of crank??

GoldenMotor.com

les

Nov 11, 2009
australia
Hi there. Hoping someone can help me out. What are the cranksets with the drive freewheel on the left hand side, and who makes 'em?? Thanks.

timboellner

Apr 1, 2009
Towson Maryland
It's called a flip flop hub.
Haro BMX bikes have them. Mine has a 3 piece crank on the front. You take it apart, turn it around. Left side drive. Crank arms stay on the same side even when you flip it or the peddles will un-thread themselves.

Track bikes also use a flip flop rear hub. Freewheel on one side, fixed gear on the other.
Can't switch front crank to the left I don't think though.

Tandem bikes I believe have left side drives but I may be mistaken.

I don't have a link for you to buy one. Maybe someone else here knows more than I do.

What do have in mind going left side drive anyway?
TiM

les

Nov 11, 2009
australia
Hi there Tim. These coaxial cranks are very different to any flip flop setup mate. They are an axle within an axle. The drive axle (the outer one) has a sprocket on BOTH sides, left and right. This freewheels. So your motor, left hand drive, connects straight to the left sprocket, which turns the outer axle, the right hand sprocket, and the back wheel. Inide this is the pedal axle which has one-way bearings. See the possibilities. Uses the existing strongest part of bike frame, does away with any jackshaft setup and the high energy loss thru it, and eliminates 1 chain and 2 extra bearings. I reckon it's better than the holy grail myself. Heard back from the guy- he's been working on this for 6 years, has prototypes on hand, and expects to have items for sale in a few months. they will take off quick, 'cause it makes combinations that are currently impractical suddenly practical, and increases efficiency, power transfer, reliability- pretty much everything- of all current setups. Can't wait to get one.