4g clutch on first build

GoldenMotor.com

hmiwb

Oct 6, 2009
Missouri
I finally got my 4 stroke build put together and took it for a shakedown ride. The first 2 mile cruise went fine with a few minor adjustments along the way. By the end of the second loop I found that the clutch would no longer release at idle. The engine died at every stop. I've heard of this problem before but I'd hoped that by now it would be solved. What is the best solution? I don't want to spend $40 to buy the 3 springs I've read about. Does adding washers under the clutch springs actually solve the problem? If so, how many or how thick? As an alternative I have a new clutch for the hoot transmission. Would the insides of that clutch work or is their clutch as bad as their transmission? Thanks guys!

fredgold52

Dec 3, 2009
Illinois
I don't know about your specific clutch problem, but adding washers to the springs should make the clutch lock up at a higher RPM. Sounds like you ought to try the washer thing as you're not likely to make anything worse.

But, this is a new kit (sounds like). Have you talked to your vendor about this. Maybe they could provide you with some replacement parts that would fix your problem. Actually, that's the route I'd go first.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
It would help to know which type clutch you have.......the tapered shaft 3-shoe type with exposed springs or the straight shaft 3-shoe with the springs non-exposed.

If it's the tapered shaft clutch you've broken a spring or two or they've come off the pivot posts. If it's the newer type straight shaft you'll need to add washers or get some stiffer springs.

dnut

hmiwb

Oct 6, 2009
Missouri
Sorry I didn't specify, but I have the 5/8 straight shaft engine and the springs are hidden inside the clutch shoes.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Yeah, it's prolly just whimpy soft springs and lack of any lube on the alignment pins causing the shoes to stay stuck open (engaged). A pretty easy fix.

hmiwb

Oct 6, 2009
Missouri
Thanks for the response. Given that clutches get Hot sometimes, what kind of lube would be appropriate for those clutch pins? Something that wouldn't turn to smoke when things heat up? What do you think? Thanks.