monster briggs, help!

GoldenMotor.com

harlyhermansson

Nov 7, 2010
sweden
don't know if this is the right part of the forum but her goes!
i resiliently got a 11hp briggs engine, i have been polishing the intake and exoust channels but i have realized that if i just put on the stock carb it will be wasted time... so a 400cc engine what size would you recommend? it's a square stoked engine and i would like the most out of the bottom end of the rev range. please help!:-||

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
don't know if this is the right part of the forum but her goes!
i resiliently got a 11hp briggs engine, i have been polishing the intake and exoust channels but i have realized that if i just put on the stock carb it will be wasted time... so a 400cc engine what size would you recommend? it's a square stoked engine and i would like the most out of the bottom end of the rev range. please help!:-||
A large jetted Mikuni 26mm might work if you can adapt it. Maybe one of the briggs biker guys will chime in with some ideas?

dnut

harlyhermansson

Nov 7, 2010
sweden
thanks scotto i will look up if i can get a mikuni 26mm shipped to sweden for a fair price;) adapters shouldn't be a big problem since i have got access to the schools lathe and milling machines:) andrew: yes i was also thinking in those tracks at first but when i read more into the subject i found that theirs allot more to a carb than mixing air and gas, and putting a bit more money into a bit better carb might pay of well at the end. thank you for the fast answers guys!

motorhedfred

Jul 31, 2009
United States
Figuring an F head Briggs won't breath as well as an OHC motorcycle engine, how about carburetor for a 350cc like a Yamaha DR350 for example ? Since you'll have to make an adapter for whatever carburetor you use, a longer manifold should give you better low end torque. Somewhere in the 150-175mm range for length. You'll need to build a support brace of some sort and if you use a flexible hose, be sure that it doesn't collapse under vacuum.

If you look for a carburetor for a simlilar size engine, you should be able to make it work.

MHF

motorhedfred

Jul 31, 2009
United States

magrider

Aug 24, 2010
OrangeCounty, CA
The intake was cut in half because we needed a bend in it and the hose supplied that bend. so the hose was sleeved with the steel tubing between the billet aluminum halves. the tubing is steel and the intake is billet aluminum and I don't know how to connect these different types of metals without a hose.