First build, Schwinn Majestic from Target

GoldenMotor.com

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
Hi all,

I have been lurking for a while, I stumbled on these forums while contemplating making a weed eater friction drive for my bike. I have learned a lot from reading about what y'all have done, thanks!

I decided to scrap the weed eater route and get a 66cc engine kit to put in a cruiser style frame. My current bike is a cheapo Mongoose mountain bike with front and rear suspension, so figured starting with a new, better looking bike was the way to go.

I will start gathering my parts after Christmas, but this is what I am thinking so far, so any insight would be great. I love tinkering and really enjoyed tuning my 4 stroke motorcycles back when I rode, but gave up on full sized motorcycles after my son was born. So this build will be for me to putt around the neighborhood on, up to the grocery store, etc.

Bike: Schwinn Men's Majestic Cruiser Bike - Black (26") : Target I really like the look of this bike, and that is has front and rear brakes. From what I read, the front fender should be removed to prevent sudden death?

Engine: I am thinking of the 66cc Grubee Skyhawk from Gasbike.net. Apparently the Raw motors were good but no longer available?

Engine upgrades: From what I read, it is good to go ahead and replace the head, intake, and exhaust gaskets, as well as the nuts and bolts immediately, so I plan to get those from SBP, as well as a new plug wire and a front motor mount if necessary.

Bike upgrades:
- Shifter: Since the bike comes with a twist grip shifter, I was going to replace it with a thumb index shifter: Amazon.com: Shimano Acera SL-M310 Rapid Fire Shifter, Right (Black, 7-Speed): Sports & Outdoors

- Dual pull brake lever (from my motorcycling days, I would prefer to have the brake on the right and clutch on the left, so figured a dual pull would work out fine): http://www.amazon.com/Pyramid-Alloy-Mountain-Cable-Brake/dp/B000AO7H16

So there is my long winded introduction. Hopefully this thread will be filled with progress pictures in a couple weeks! Please let me know if something with that parts list looks off.

Thanks!

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Hello maurtis Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you got it all planned out and gonna build yourself one cool ride. Please keep us updated on how things are going.

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
Thanks Dave, I tried to plan it out as much as I could, and sure some things will change as I go. I cannot wait to dive in!

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
Welcome to the best motor bike forums on the net.

That sounds like a really great build and I am looking forward to seeing some pictures. While you were at SickBikeParts, did you happen to see their shift kit? I think you would be real pleased with that on your bike.

As far as the front fender goes, some reinforcement at all of the mounting points and it should be just fine.

And remember, we like to see lots of pics, the more the better.
usflg

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Welcome aboard!
...sounds like u havin fun already.

Not much prob juggling left hand levers... there's the button lock on the clutch.
Only use it when stopping.

fenders r gud. especially if it rains! lol
as above, just make sure it is well mounted, because you will ALWAYS be travelling faster than a cruiser bicycle!

Best
rc