4G Troubles

GoldenMotor.com

hmiwb

Oct 6, 2009
Missouri
In looking at your pictures, your freewheel sprocket appears to be mounted in the reverse of the way mine is mounted. You might want to check that. Reversing that sprocket would give you the offset you appear to need, but then would the freewheel operate properly? Just a thought.

trevpiee

Feb 2, 2010
ca
Check out this thread: http://motorbicycling.com/f23/4g-t-belt-drive-installation-problems-17492-9.html. Post 88, pg. 9. Install the clutch the second way shown (with the small washer). Also, make sure that your large pulley isn't on backwards. They have different offsets on each side. You could also put a washer behind your large pulley to get it to pull away from your clutch bell slightly. Keep in mind will affect your pulley alignment. You may have to use something thinner to shim it out for the proper clearance. Pay special attention to the last picture. Install the clutch hardware in that order.
This was the problem... I had just installed the big pulley how it came shipped to me without knowing that there were different offsets on each side. Now it clears.

I have everything assembled... my next problem is that the engine will not idle at a stop... It seems like the clutch is slipping?

BE-tech

Sep 14, 2011
Bozeman
The clutches in the new 4G kits are coming with stiffer springs. All that I have installed have performed fine. Although it may be the springs (if you got an older kit), it is probably something to do with your clutch bushing. Make sure to soak your oil-light bushing in oil overnight. A few people recommend heating up the oil as it will penetrate the bushing easier.... up to you. Some recommend a bushing available from McMaster. You will have to lubricate the oil-lite bushing periodically, around every 10 hours or so. This is best done after a ride when the bushing is still hot. Avoid letting your engine sit at idle for extended periods as it heats up the oil-lite bushing. This will promote longer times between re-lubing. The bushing is only spinning on the shaft when the clutch is not engaged. You know when your bushing is going dry when it feels like the clutch isn't disengaging all the way.

What else it could be:
The large washer behind the clutch bolt should not be contacting the oil-lite bushing: http://motorbicycling.com/f23/4g-t-b...s-17492-9.html. Post 88, pg. 9. Install the clutch the second way shown (with the small washer).

Hope this helps