GXH50 compression specs & options

GoldenMotor.com

chopparidge

Dec 10, 2011
Perth
Looking at the Honda specs there is a discrepancy.
Honda Engines - Small Engine Models, Manuals, Parts, & Resources
Specs:
36mm bore
41.8mm stroke
Capacity 49.4cc
comp ratio 8.0:1
OK, the bore & stroke gives us a Sv(swept volume) of 42.55cc, therefor if 49.4cc is correct we have a Cv(clearance volume) of 6.95.

CR=Sv/Cv + 1
= 42.55/6.95 + 1 = 7.12, So if the Bore, stroke & displacement specs are the correct then the 8.0:1 is wrong and the real ratio is 7.12:1

If we assume the bore stroke & CR are correct then the displacement of 49.4 is wrong.
Cv=Sv/(CR-1)
= 42.55/(8-1) = 6.08cc
Displacement = Sv+Cv = 42.55+6.08 = 48.63cc NOT 49.4

I am inclined to think that the error is in the CR calculation & the real world CR of the GXH50 is 7.1:1.

Please chime in and correct me if the above is incorrect.

I really like the idea of a stroker crank, it would deliver a higher CR, a longer leaver about the crank & little more displacement. Higher CR will also yield benefits to the performance cam as they work better with higher CR.

By my calculations with 2mm stroker crank would yield:
stroke = 45.8mm
Sv = 46.62cc
Cv = 4.91cc
displacement = 51.53cc
CR = 10.5:1

Looking around various sources suggest 4-5% increase in torque for every 1.0 increase in CR. So an increase of about 3.4 x 4% is about 13% more torque. the longer leaver of the stroker is 11% longer so 11% more torque there. additional 2.1cc is about a 4% increase in volume. So it may be possible to achieve something around 25% increase with a stroker.

1.25 x 1.6 = 2kW & 3.3Nm sounds like a good starting point before the addition of main stream add-ons like carb, filter exhaust & cam.

Question
does anyone know the clearance between the piston and valves, my Honda is on the way, otherwise i would pull it apart myself & put some clay on the piston and check myself.

In the mean time i will be looking to a couple of workshops that weld & regrind crankshafts. assuming they can tool up small enough, it should not be that expensive going by charges to do full V8 cranks.

chopparidge

Dec 10, 2011
Perth
I think you are indeed correct.
if we swap the bore & stroke figures we get the a Sw of 49.4cc as quoted by honda.

So with a swept volume 49.4cc we have a Cv of 7.06.

With the new numbers a 2mm stroker would deliver nearly 14:1 which i suspect is well beyond the little red honda.

I will just have wait for little donk & have a look.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I think you are indeed correct.
if we swap the bore & stroke figures we get the a Sw of 49.4cc as quoted by honda.

So with a swept volume 49.4cc we have a Cv of 7.06.

With the new numbers a 2mm stroker would deliver nearly 14:1 which i suspect is well beyond the little red honda.

I will just have wait for little donk & have a look.
With a 2mm stroker and 14:1 CR, you could run it on alcohol with the proper carby ;)

dnut

chopparidge

Dec 10, 2011
Perth
Are you implying that both the bike and I could be revitalised at the Pub?

while an entertaining idea, it would not worth the hassle of maintaining an alcohol engine for my purposes.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Rather than mess around with offset-grinding the crank, I think an aftermarket con rod is the next great thing for these engines.

Maybe increase the length 1 millimeter. Try to get the compression ratio closer to the high 9's, low 10's and run it on 91-93 octane.

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Are you implying that both the bike and I could be revitalised at the Pub?

while an entertaining idea, it would not worth the hassle of maintaining an alcohol engine for my purposes.
Me likes the Pubs and alcohol burns cool and clean. Yes it would be a hassel and not worth it cuz you'ld also need heavier valve springs and a steel cam as well as the plastic cam would wear rather quickly.

I've run alcohol in 2-strokes but don't see any need for it in my thumpers...

dnut

chopparidge

Dec 10, 2011
Perth
and with a steel bore alcohol residue after use will eat out the engine over time without special care. I too play with alcohol but in RC heli's plane and cars.

but this toy must run on pump gas, be minimum maintenance & reliable. and not covering everything in 2-stroke oil is a bonus & something i will not miss, not for a moment.

As far as crank grinding goes, once i have one in my hand and visit a couple of workshops, will be a matter of they can or they can't work something so small. If they can then it should not be that hard or expensive. as far as i am aware, no longer rods exist & a custom rod is probably going to be no easier or cheaper. and a crank is probably less work as you could pull the crank & just leave the rod attached to piston and in the barrel. You would definitely have to pull the lot out to fit a new rod.

the stroker is my preferred option because in addition to the compression rise you get a small displacement increase & torque increase through the mechanical advantage of longer crank.

A longer rod will give the CR increase but reduces total combustion volume to do it & you don't get any mechanical advantage either.

Original total displacement is 49.4 + 7.1= 56.5cc (swept + clearance volume)
1mm stroker is 56.5 + 1.4= 57.9cc
1mm rod is 56.5 - 1.4= 55.1cc
the stroker has 5% more capacity the the long rod, incidentally a 1mm stroker will give a higher CR than a 1mm longer rod.

chopparidge

Dec 10, 2011
Perth
Why does alcohol require stiffer valve springs? missed that one. I beleive the aftermarket cam is metal? I will be trying one as soon as i can get one.

higher CR and more aggressive cam compliement each other. A case where the whole is greater than the sum of the individuals.

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Why does alcohol require stiffer valve springs? missed that one. I beleive the aftermarket cam is metal? I will be trying one as soon as i can get one.

higher CR and more aggressive cam compliement each other. A case where the whole is greater than the sum of the individuals.
Stiffer springs so your valves don't float at higher rpm your engine will attain. I've yet to see any cam for these 50cc Honda's and clones that isn't plastic. I've got the racing cam from AGK and it's plastic.

chopparidge

Dec 10, 2011
Perth
yeh ok it's the rpm. How do you rate the AKG cam? under normal conditions how bad is the wear, is it the lobe or the gear drive that wears. Plastic it is then, is this a weight saving issue or money saving?

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I like the AGK cam, it gives quicker acceleration and better top-end pull. The wear on the plastic cams is very minimal under normal conditions....you'll notice wear on the lobe more so than on the gear.

I think they make them out of plastic for a few reasons and one would be money savings for sure, especially in the long run. On my HF 212cc they use a plastic gear on the end of the steel cam......go figure.

There is nothing wrong with the plastic as it is really some tough stuff.

dnut

yeh ok it's the rpm. How do you rate the AKG cam? under normal conditions how bad is the wear, is it the lobe or the gear drive that wears. Plastic it is then, is this a weight saving issue or money saving?

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
As far as crank grinding goes, once i have one in my hand and visit a couple of workshops, will be a matter of they can or they can't work something so small. If they can then it should not be that hard or expensive. as far as i am aware, no longer rods exist & a custom rod is probably going to be no easier or cheaper. and a crank is probably less work as you could pull the crank & just leave the rod attached to piston and in the barrel. You would definitely have to pull the lot out to fit a new rod.

the stroker is my preferred option because in addition to the compression rise you get a small displacement increase & torque increase through the mechanical advantage of longer crank.

A longer rod will give the CR increase but reduces total combustion volume to do it & you don't get any mechanical advantage either.
I dispute your contention that grinding the crank is less work than having a batch of longer con rods made.
If you get the crank offset-ground, then you need new main bearings, too. Good luck sourcing those.
Whomever is the first to make the rods isn't going to have any problems selling them.
The stock con rod is a weak point, especially on the Huasheng.

Last edited:

agk

Oct 2, 2010
Santa Barbara CA
.duh.
Stiffer springs so your valves don't float at higher rpm your engine will attain. I've yet to see any cam for these 50cc Honda's and clones that isn't plastic. I've got the racing cam from AGK and it's plastic.
We've thought about making a steel cam for this engine. If you have a hardened cam you can run stiffer valve springs and run a higher rpm. The problem is the rod will fail. So we need to make a billet rod too. Now you're getting several hundred dollars deep into a 49cc engine. Like you mentioned before Scotto, you may as well just use the 99cc engine.

agk

Oct 2, 2010
Santa Barbara CA
We've had customers offset grind their cranks with their local machine shop. I agree with Aleman here. The machine shop will charge about as much as the entire engine cost. The offset ground cranks are thin on one side and have a tendency to break. We've seen it happen several times with the 6.5hp engines. For those engines we use a billet stroker crank so the journal wall thickness is even and sufficient all the way around the journal. It would be fun to stroke the 49cc engine but with an offset ground crank don't expect it to be cheap or reliable.

chopparidge

Dec 10, 2011
Perth
Much wisdom from all thank you. despite my early reservations i think i will go down the 100cc path. much more torque off the bat, and from 1st look the design looks to be more modd friendly. thanks all