is my motor dead???

GoldenMotor.com

clashed13

Aug 30, 2011
Michigan
I just got it like a week ago and it wont turn over I have to keep pedaling in order for it to even try to turn on, Like it keeps trying to turn over but just wont.:-||

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
Ok clashed I will do my best. Did it ever run? How much oil is in the gas? Will your bike peddle with the clutch in? What kind of motor? Relax we will get you going :) (c)

clashed13

Aug 30, 2011
Michigan
Yes it ran good until i WOT and the spark plug flew out now it wont go at all and it 24:1 and yes I just adjusted the clutch so it not that hard to peddle

BADBOOH

Apr 3, 2010
San Diego CA,
I have never heard of a spark plug blowing off, could be a bad sign. I don't believe 24:1 is the proper oil fuel mixture for an unbroke in motor. I go 40:1 for the first gallon then 32:1 after. Personal opinion. For some reason (may relate to your situation) when I position my fuel filter right side up my engine floods. Causes me to have to turn the motor over pedaling. This is hard work and takes close to 10 to 15 minutes to unflood the motor. Might help.

clashed13

Aug 30, 2011
Michigan
Im going to buy a new carberator. And a new cdi and wire, So I wont have any problems but thanks for suggestions will update as soon as I get the parts in.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Did you say the spark plug "flew out"? If you meant that literally, you may have the additional problem of stripped threads on your head.

And I can only think of two reasons a plug would try for a pilot's license: air-fuel mix is wrong wrong wrong, or the plug is the wrong heat range and is long enough that the piston gave it an uppercut (sending it over the ropes in round two and winning the championship).

If it's the stock plug, I would try the fuel mix suggestions above. But I would also look at the threads on your head.

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
Make sure everything is connected correctly and the kill switch is not interfering. If nothing still, then replace the magneto and buy another cdi just to be safe.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I have never heard of a spark plug blowing off, could be a bad sign. I don't believe 24:1 is the proper oil fuel mixture for an unbroke in motor. I go 40:1 for the first gallon then 32:1 after. Personal opinion. For some reason (may relate to your situation) when I position my fuel filter right side up my engine floods. Causes me to have to turn the motor over pedaling. This is hard work and takes close to 10 to 15 minutes to unflood the motor. Might help.
You should rethink your advice on fuel mix. A 40:1 ratio is a little light on oil for break in. We suggest a 24:1 mix for break in then after a couple of gallons move DOWN to a 32:1mix.
The larger number represents the gasoline, the smaller number the oil. In other words if you have 32 ounces of gas, you'll want to mix in 1 oz. of oil for a 32:1 ratio. Suggesting a 40:1 mix for break in is not good advice. The engine needs more oil than that when new.

In addition, the position of the fuel filter, unless you have it installed backwards has no effect on the way the engine runs. It sounds like you have a float problem or a incorrectly adjusted carburetor.

Tom

Last edited:

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
i had my spark plug pop off before.
i just finished remounting my engine & forgot to tighten the plug down.
i rode it to the store fine.
then on the way back i heard a pop.
sounded like a thumb & mouth sound.
burnt the heck out of my fingers trying to put it back on.

syates234

Jun 14, 2011
idaho
Got my bike to fire up with new mag and Cdi but o suggest that if your going to hook up a light to the motor I suggest you don't do it. It seems to me that's what fries the mag.