morini questions

GoldenMotor.com

Elixys

Sep 14, 2010
Midland, TX
ok ive had this question for a while now and figured i would ask the experts since you would know. I want to build a custom frame bike with the morini 9.4 hp i guess its the S6S model? but i have a question or two before i decide to commit 500+ bucks to this as that kind of money would buy one heck of a sleep number bed instead......i guess firstly, does this motor have to be pedal started....and what i mean by that is if i idle the motor at a stop light, do i have to pedal to build up momentum before i kick back over to motor power or will this thing have the power to kick off from a dead stop? secondly, does the clutch work similar to the china girls in that it has that little swing arm attached to the cable that disengages the clutch when the handle is pulled in? i guess thirdly, what size rear sprocket should i get for this puppy? is there any kind of special mounting technique or can i use the same kind of rag joint/bolt on that I use with the china girl, will i definitely need to be using the super industrial rims/wheels so that i dont overtorque and destroy my regular wheels?..........man i really want one of these things......

Elixys

Sep 14, 2010
Midland, TX
i really appreciate it guys. i plan on building a custom frame for my morini because i worry about trying to buy an existing bike and it falling apart on me going 45 mph down the road.....makes for a bad day in my opinion......anyways ill look through the links that you guys gave me and see what i aught to do.....also i should probably get the worksman tires due to the stronger spokes yes? one question, has anyone tried mag wheels with a morini?

robin

Nov 15, 2008
Penticton British Columbia Canada
You definetly need 36 spoke heavy duty rims my first 24" one bent with torque using the 64 tooth rear sprocket so i got a heavy duty Mavic rim 26" which gives you higher top end but slower takeoff - but you can pedal assist your start up. I use my 40 Tanaka for any long distance just did 290 miles camping trip.

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
You definetly need 36 spoke heavy duty rims my first 24" one bent with torque using the 64 tooth rear sprocket so i got a heavy duty Mavic rim 26" which gives you higher top end but slower takeoff - but you can pedal assist your start up. I use my 40 Tanaka for any long distance just did 290 miles camping trip.

How do you like that Tanaka set up? Do you have a build thread for it?
Do you take it on longer trips because the Morini is power drunk?

Corydnutdnut

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Do you take it on longer trips because the Morini is power drunk?

Corydnutdnut
The Morini is powerful, but it's no monster. If you gear it tall it will push 50 mph and take a long time getting there. If you gear it for bottom end then don't expect 45 mph. This comes from my experience with numerous Morini builds. One thing everyone agrees on is that it's a quality engine. Very well built. I watched my bro ride his at the annual Whizz-in ride. 90 miles in one day without breaking a sweat. It was ready for more.

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
The Morini is powerful, but it's no monster. If you gear it tall it will push 50 mph and take a long time getting there. If you gear it for bottom end then don't expect 45 mph. This comes from my experience with numerous Morini builds. One thing everyone agrees on is that it's a quality engine. Very well built. I watched my bro ride his at the annual Whizz-in ride. 90 miles in one day without breaking a sweat. It was ready for more.
Well at 9.4 horsepower at 11,000 RPM and 50cc Im gonna go ahead and classify my S6-S as a monster, especially comparing its output to displacement ratio.

robin

Nov 15, 2008
Penticton British Columbia Canada
The Morini setup i have doesnt freewheel like my Tanaka -Staton gearbox setup does --so it is better for pedalling as the Morini without the engine is stand up hard pedalling sometimes its nice to shut off the noise and pedal thru a park. Also the Boxer Morini is not setup to pull a trailer and needs some modification to do so.
No i dont have a build thread for the Tanaka 40 setup --its all available from Staton inc. My friend has the Golden Eagle setup which has quick change belt rings so better pulling on big hills.

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
they can be called monsters compaired to a china girl, but they are just another stock hi-po 50cc MX'er at the starting gate at track's all over the country. just like every motorised thing we want more power [tim taylor] and i'm sure someone gitten' 20 hp even if it needs a top end every weekend so tim's kid gets them win's! sincerly...wilson

itchybird

Nov 4, 2009
SF Bay Area.
Well at 9.4 horsepower at 11,000 RPM and 50cc Im gonna go ahead and classify my S6-S as a monster, especially comparing its output to displacement ratio.
I am curious what you are running for rear sprocket, can you tell me the tooth count? I currently run a 45t which is a good all around gear for guys that actually like to go places. And while its a comfortable cruising gear, it does not make for rocketship like acceleration -but it'll cruise at 40mph all day long.

Gearing will determine the personality of the bike, let us know how you set up your ride.

Rich

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
My 9.4 is with a 11 tooth front 52 tooth rear big huge honking 24x3.0 balloon tire. This thing will leap clear across town long trips lovy dovy at up to 40 miles an hour no problem.

80% percent of all neighborhood size blocks this bike will leap to 40 miles an hour or 39 and I can still have just enough room to stop or slow down for a turn!

I have foam grips the throttle sticks just enough for using them I have cruise control. This bike my BoXXer can cruise at 12 miles an hour on up perfectly! At high speed I ain't a gonna take my hand of the throttle to prove it. Clutch untouched untamed so far an inspection at 1400 miles the darn thing even looks like it's still breaking in can't find nuttun. Got no wear or tear on my clutch at all! I am very pleased with how my ride is currently geared. It runs like a hot rod at 6000 feet above sea level.

Stock washer stack has all the shims in place no thing removed.

My bike is geared to my taste to tackle the city top speed is 40. I feel like My set up matches everything perfect. I cruise anywhere from 12 to 30 most times and have redlined it clear across this city no probs at all. Accept that is not really my comfort zone so for me any way.

I learned my city peddling from a bike years ago ''never stopped'' and have found the best side streets in every direction here that make for very peaceful nostalgic drives!

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Oh yeah if my story does not sound encouraging enough yet. I got into to body building when I was younger and I am pretty tall at 240 pounds. I carry cargo of all kinds you'd be surprised back pack grocery's etc all the time.

I have been running Maxima MTL 85 wt transmission oil wet clutch approved.

Been my own experiment and I am liking it. Maxima MTL 85wt Transmission Fluid

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
I am curious what you are running for rear sprocket, can you tell me the tooth count? I currently run a 45t which is a good all around gear for guys that actually like to go places. And while its a comfortable cruising gear, it does not make for rocketship like acceleration -but it'll cruise at 40mph all day long.

Gearing will determine the personality of the bike, let us know how you set up your ride.

Rich
Ill have to count it again but mines either a 60 or 62 tooth rear sprocket, the Morini sprocket is the stock 11 tooth (I believe).

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
My 9.4 is with a 11 tooth front 52 tooth rear big huge honking 24x3.0 balloon tire. This thing will leap clear across town long trips lovy dovy at up to 40 miles an hour no problem.

80% percent of all neighborhood size blocks this bike will leap to 40 miles an hour or 39 and I can still have just enough room to stop or slow down for a turn!

I have foam grips the throttle sticks just enough for using them I have cruise control. This bike my BoXXer can cruise at 12 miles an hour on up perfectly! At high speed I ain't a gonna take my hand of the throttle to prove it. Clutch untouched untamed so far an inspection at 1400 miles the darn thing even looks like it's still breaking in can't find nuttun. Got no wear or tear on my clutch at all! I am very pleased with how my ride is currently geared. It runs like a hot rod at 6000 feet above sea level.

Stock washer stack has all the shims in place no thing removed.

My bike is geared to my taste to tackle the city top speed is 40. I feel like My set up matches everything perfect. I cruise anywhere from 12 to 30 most times and have redlined it clear across this city no probs at all. Accept that is not really my comfort zone so for me any way.

I learned my city peddling from a bike years ago ''never stopped'' and have found the best side streets in every direction here that make for very peaceful nostalgic drives!
Sounds like youve got it pretty well sorted out Goat Herder, great post.

Elixys

Sep 14, 2010
Midland, TX
this is all really good information, but i still need some assistance as far as rim selection, hub selection, spoke selection, brake selection, oh and also pedal crank selection......as far as rear sprocket size i was thinking something like 56 tooth.....maybe 60.....anyways i looked up the Mavic website and they have a lot of rims......i dont know which one im supposed to pick out for pricing..definitely going for 26" rims for sure. I want some decent disc brakes as well....im thinking also will need the wide pedal crank to clear the motor?...i also keep hearing of this shimano hub.....im guessing these are the top of the line?....ill need a front and back wheel.....anyways i havent gotten much sleep lately but im trying to come up with some prices to see about how much this is going to end up costing me.....i wish sportscarpat made a cruiser type bike with the morini with the banana seat and the sissy bar on the back......id buy it instead....ah well the hard part is in the search......anyways let me know some good links for the hubs/rims/spokes/brakes/sprocket adapter/and also please let me know if the morini kit comes with an exhaust or if i need to buy one of those too......thanks very much....Eli

ridethefire122

Jul 7, 2011
Harvard MA
Check out bicycledesigner.com for some cool schwinn stingray like parts. They carry sissy bars and banana seats. Might be able to throw something on your frame.

Franco Moroni is in the process of being "bought out". Their motors have become quite hard to get ahold of. I originally wanted the 9.3 but had to settle for the 11.4 water cooled. I bought it through herdan... You can try to see if they have anything left in stock. And no, the motor did not come with an exhaust. Just the motor, carb and ignition for $800.

I'm currently going through the same thing you are... In regards to your wheel/brake setup. The rear setup depends on a lot of factors. You should first figure out what size hub you will need (this depends on the spacing between the frame where the rear wheel mounts up). From there, decide what type of brakes you want to use (depends on motor's power). This brake decision will then lead you bsck to your hub selection. In terms of rims, I've heard halos are pretty good. There are also other heavy duty rim threads you can search for.

Last edited:

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
The Morini setup i have doesnt freewheel like my Tanaka -Staton gearbox setup does --so it is better for pedalling as the Morini without the engine is stand up hard pedalling sometimes its nice to shut off the noise and pedal thru a park. Also the Boxer Morini is not setup to pull a trailer and needs some modification to do so.
No i dont have a build thread for the Tanaka 40 setup --its all available from Staton inc. My friend has the Golden Eagle setup which has quick change belt rings so better pulling on big hills.
I just bought and assembled the Golden Eagle kit and put about 90 miles on it, everything is very high quality I only wish I would have been able to locate a 47cc because the 32cc does lack some guys on hills. I think the 40 or 47cc would be nearly perfect for the belt drive setup for bigger guys.