66cc Kroon

GoldenMotor.com

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
After getting my Villiers bike going im pretty sure im not going to want to ride this tired 66cc anymore. The 66cc is probably faster then the 98cc Villiers but no where near as fun to ride.

And the Villiers beach cruiser does ride well but being 6 ft 3 it can be a little tricky to ride sometimes with the suicide clutch at lights. So im thinking this bike will be perfect for a Villiers and should make for a nice ride. This Kroon bike is an extremely well built vintage European bike that had some history with motorized bikes.

I may stretch the frame if needed and i was thinking of cutting some of the downtube and using the motor as part of the frame as seen on many early motorcycles and motorbicycles.

Im still waiting on the alloy tank but just might make a steel one seeing as i have a mig welder now.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Because these arent a high revving engine (2700rpm i think) a standard centrifugal clutch wont work to my knowledge..... does anyone know of other solutions?

If not i will do a similar idea as my previous build with a tensioner on the primary drive as a clutch, but rather then a suicide shift i will make up a cable operation with a lever on the handlebars. Heres how i did it on the other Villiers...

brett7777

Aug 19, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
your earlier 98cc has a great patina.
have you clear lacquered the frame?
what did you do with the rims? are they painted or what?
There's a guy over here who has a JAP motor in a mower like yours that's gonna put it into an Enfield bicycle frame, add an extra top bar to the frame, & drop loop it. He's using an antique fire extinguisher for the tank.
The tank on that mower in the pic looks cool.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
There's a guy over here who has a JAP motor in a mower like yours that's gonna put it into an Enfield bicycle frame, add an extra top bar to the frame, & drop loop it. He's using an antique fire extinguisher for the tank.
The frame was stripped to bare metal and left to rust and when i get the desired patina i will just keep the frame oiled..... its nice filling my tank with no fear of damaging the paint..... maybe one day ill paint it the same color as i painted the rims, but for now im happy with the old ratty look...... Its fooled a lot of people. I have a lot of elderly people asking me if this is a genuine "old" bike. Im guessing these older people saw bikes like this in their youth?

You guys in New Zealand have a lot of guys building very cool stuff for such a small country. Kiwi Indian is a high profile bike builder and he is a New Zealander.

The wheels were a secondhand disc brake, single speed downhill wheelset i bought off Ebay, i just put straws over the spokes and sprayed them with White Knight "Mocha" color

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
The tank on that mower was used in another build i have going

brett7777

Aug 19, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
The frame was stripped to bare metal and left to rust and when i get the desired patina i will just keep the frame oiled..... its nice filling my tank with no fear of damaging the paint..... maybe one day ill paint it the same color as i painted the rims, but for now im happy with the old ratty look...... Its fooled a lot of people. I have a lot of elderly people asking me if this is a genuine "old" bike. Im guessing these older people saw bikes like this in their youth?

You guys in New Zealand have a lot of guys building very cool stuff for such a small country. Kiwi Indian is a high profile bike builder and he is a New Zealander.

The wheels were a secondhand disc brake, single speed downhill wheelset i bought off Ebay, i just put straws over the spokes and sprayed them with White Knight "Mocha" color
Sadly, amongst local gearheads, there doesnt seem to be much respect for Kiwi Indian here.
I think they're jealous. I have a lotta respect for the guy. Clever & a real entrepreneur. We need more entrepreneurs.
Yes there's some clever guys here but some of them live a long way up their own *******s, to be blatantly honest :)
I have a lot to do with the bobber crowd as I sell bobber parts here. Most of them are great guys.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Brett im looking forward to seeing your bike, Im sure you will have a ball with the chinagirl.... i did. But i see your a bike guy and have built motorbikes. But let me pre warn you.... these things are addictive, and if youre like me you will soon get over the chinagirl and either be looking for something faster or something that rides a little nicer..... or both. LOL. My Villiers isnt faster but its nicer to ride and has a lot of history and sounds a lot nicer....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuRiiakgByE

Motorized bicycle Villiers 98cc board track racer - YouTube

brett7777

Aug 19, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
Thanks for the vids!
Yeah I hear you. The thing is, if I go over 49cc I cant ride it on the road. I think the next logical step would be to get a custom board tracker frame built that would take a Sportster motor & vin & register it as a motorcycle.
like this:

Attachments

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Well yo are set then.....I plan on getting a Japanese bike, much like the triumphs.... whether it be an XS650 or something similar so it could resemble a single cylinder BTR.

Im learning and honing my skills on these bikes, then when im ready ill tackle all the work myself and build a full size registered BTR

brett7777

Aug 19, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
I think you'll do a great job Harry, judging by your work so far!
Im not really all set re a Sportie BTR because I havent found an engineer around Auckland yet that i think would do a nice enough job. The usual guys here seem a bit rough in their work, to me. Wouldnt trust them.
I deal with a guy in Nebraska who does great Sportie weld on hardtails, he would probably be my best bet because he has Sportie motors there to work with.
have u seen this xs650 BTR ?

Attachments

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Yeah i have seen that one.... very nice.

One of my favourites was a BTR design that won the World Biker championships a few years back.... i think it had a Harley engine and was called "Hustler8" (or something) but i cant find a pic at present..... Man thats a nice bike, it had a flat tracker/speedway influence