Reed Valve

GoldenMotor.com

vvomit

Jun 5, 2010
earth
I have my carb relocated for clearance reasons. I just finished installing a reed valve. I used a puch 4 valve intake and welded the rear to my intake. I'll test it tomorrow.
Reedvalve.JPG

Last edited:

vvomit

Jun 5, 2010
earth
It was a flop. Bottom end was great, but mid drops off considerably and no top end. I could not get it over 30mph, but it will cruise around idling at 14-18mph.

vvomit

Jun 5, 2010
earth
No, it was starved for fuel. plug was a light to med brown. I'm not sure this engine is going to have enough vacuum to open the reeds at higher rpm's.

kerf

Jun 28, 2010
Birmingham, Al
It would make sense to me, that in order to get the full benefit from a reed valve intake, one might need to modify the piston / port arrangement. Possibly cutting a window through the piston skirt, to allow the intake port to stay open all the way through the the intake stroke. I believe that's how the Trevor Simpson reed valve conversions were done on the Chung Yang R460.

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Jag, when you gonna start selling that bolt-on Reed? :)

vvomit, like the guys said you may need a couple of holes in your skirt. Check out what Puch is doing:

Here's link to their site where I found that pic:
puch 70cc reed valve kit especiale check out their other kits for a better idea, along with Jaguar's awesome tips.

Even a few drilled holes in the skirt should help. It's good that your plug is not charcoal, heh heh.

gl, keep us posted :).