Your favorite aspect of riding

GoldenMotor.com

timboellner

Apr 1, 2009
Towson Maryland
What is it that puts that insane smile on your face after a good long ride?
Sometimes I get back looking like Jack Nicholson in "The Shining"

I was kinda interested in seeing what part of riding you guys felt was the "good" part of your ride.

Is it the satisfaction of riding something you created knowing that there is not one exactly likes yours out there?....

Is it the crazy confused looks that people give you when you ride past?....

Is it the way you got your beast running better than it ever did before?

I love gettin home and thinking dam that was fun.

Weather awesome, bike ran great, nothing broke, got up my favorite "test" hill 3 mph faster than last time. Didn't run out of gas. Blasted down some roads fast enough to scare myself.
All my cares and daily worries disappeared if only for a few short hours....

What makes you call your bike A HappyTime anyway?..
I'd really like to know

Tim

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I find riding to be a kind of meditation if I am riding without hassle, traffic, bad weather. Riding along through the forest is soothing and exhilarating at the same time. Concentrating on the bike and the unfolding road takes away thoughts of money or people or much anything else as cares of the world. Just me, the dog in her trailer behind, the bike and the road. It occurred to me one day that riding is a spiritual experience and that my spinning wheels under me and carrying me along were mandalas and then I thought about Tibetan prayer wheels and all the significance and meaning within the idea of the wheel or circle found all through the natural world from the shape of a raindrop, a birds nest, our sun and planets... it is all a circle as is the course of our lives. I don't busy my mind with such thoughts all the time, but riding is reflective and puts me into a zone of peaceful calm and a quiet joy. And I am ageless when I ride, a boy again and an old fellow at the same time. I am a spirit passing through the material world. I'm sure also that having built the bike and it doing and being what I wanted of it enhances the experience.
SB

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
I find riding to be a kind of meditation if I am riding without hassle, traffic, bad weather. Riding along through the forest is soothing and exhilarating at the same time. Concentrating on the bike and the unfolding road takes away thoughts of money or people or much anything else as cares of the world. Just me, the dog in her trailer behind, the bike and the road. It occurred to me one day that riding is a spiritual experience and that my spinning wheels under me and carrying me along were mandalas and then I thought about Tibetan prayer wheels and all the significance and meaning within the idea of the wheel or circle found all through the natural world from the shape of a raindrop, a birds nest, our sun and planets... it is all a circle as is the course of our lives. I don't busy my mind with such thoughts all the time, but riding is reflective and puts me into a zone of peaceful calm and a quiet joy. And I am ageless when I ride, a boy again and an old fellow at the same time. I am a spirit passing through the material world. I'm sure also that having built the bike and it doing and being what I wanted of it enhances the experience.
SB
Wow, that was deep! I have to agree with the part I highlighted. We start off in diapers and normally end up in them also, if you make it long enough.

I love having something different. These little bikes are just an extension of that. I have that goofy smile just from looking at my bike, who knows what I look like when I'm actually on it. However, I would have to say that the best part for me is the looks on other people's faces. It's like I just made them young again, if only for a moment.

UVsaturated

May 15, 2008
Dayton, Ohio
I love several things about riding my bike. First is the freedom you have versus a car; no license, no insurance, no registering your vehicle. Second it the fact that it is 4-5 times more economical on gas. Third is the limitations on speed gives you the peace of mind that you are soaking up the experience of traveling and enjoying the scenery and landscape as you travel - something you don't get when you are flying by in a car. Still, I am traveling faster than a pioneer could travel migrating west or someone on a horse. That is something to think about and put things in perspective.

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
For me it's the solitude, The ability to leave the noise of life and rambling's of man behind. While riding its just me,the bike and the road. The troubles of life always seem to fade away, if just for a while.
Rick

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I don't have one single favorite aspect of riding, there are many things about it I enjoy, and sometimes different things about it I enjoy depending on what kind of mood I'm in. I definitely appreciate the aspect of riding something I've built. I also enjoy the freedom of the open road. When I'm in a calm mood, I like to enjoy the scenery and the peace and quiet. If I am in an angry mood (which I try not to be while riding, it kills everything else I like about it, and it seldom happens anymore) then I like to find a road with no traffic and just put the hammer down and punch it sometimes. Its a good outlet for frustration and whatnot when I need it. Mainly I enjoy the self reliance and the sense of accomplishment of knowing that something I built is pulling me along down the road.

Wickedest1

Oct 31, 2012
connecticut
Really its a mash up of everything...i must say its a therapeudic activity...mentally and physically...its my prozac...my xanax...my booze...its how I unwind...and its pride knowing I busted my knuckles many times to get my machine to a point that it can be reliable and wicked fun...

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
I like the small size of my motorbike and the silence of the ride. I like how simple and easy it is to get around town and run small errands. I can't get a weeks worth of groceries, but I can get a couple of bags worth. Or some items at the hardware store.

I especially like nite rides around the neighboorhood when it's warm outside. The lingering aromas of different folks BBQ's and what they must have been cooking. Oh, that was chicken, ah burgers down the road here. The glowing eyes of cats lurking under parked cars.

I like to go explore different neighboorhoods and see what folks are up to there. And since I make no sound at all I never make folks upset with cruising by their homes at any hour of the day or night.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
The number one thing is, I just love to ride. But riding a motor bicycle is the most fun for me now, for several reasons. I made more of it than any of my other bikes. It's fun seeing the look on peoples face when I tell them I made this. That's a factor for sure. It's a different kind of riding experience. A slower, smell the roses type of ride. That plays a part too. The ride takes longer. Longer riding time, equals more fun. Can't deny that. Having the only one is also fun for now, but I hope that changes over time.

There's more than that though. Something about a little scrawny motor hauling my big butt all over town. That seems to be part of the attraction too. You get kind of attached to the poor little thing working so hard for you. More like the way it might have been with horses.

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Basicaly I ride the same route every fair weather day(above 50 deg. F). It is about 10 mi. each way. Having run that route umpteen times, I have gotten to meet many people.
The route is along the ocean and just a nice view from start to finish. Low traffic and just relaxing.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
The small town I live in has roads that are very narrow and curvy, and some places dirt or gravel. I like to ride around and discover and I have different routes that are good for cruising or ripping around or whatnot, and the trails are beautiful. I've kept it close to home because of electric range and MB trials and tribulations, soon I'll be doing some longer rides with some extra batteries and the gas bikes are running.

I can't wait to have a long range cruiser to enjoy the open road! There's nothing better than getting to use a fun vehicle to go about your daily tasks.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I was just reading the latest comments and it occurred to me that the investment we make into these bikes in terms of personal effort, planning and execution has a lot to do with the high rate of return on the "investment". It is like the difference between sitting in your living room in a pair of sweatpants & T shirt and slipping the DVD into the player to watch a movie. Little investment. Compare that to getting dressed up a bit for going out into the public to go to a movie theater, picking up your date, being on time, paying good money for the tickets and seeing the same movie in a packed theater. For me there is a real difference here and the likelihood that I will enjoy the film more and have a more memorable experience is greater. That's kind of like the difference in just buying a ready to ride and making one. Big difference. And yes, part of it is being able to say, I made this. There's only one of them and it is mine. I not only ride it, I also understand it and can fix something if it goes wrong. Pretty cool investment with high returns, I'd say.
SB

DIANY

Mar 8, 2012
nampa
yup.... my favorite part... is THIS FORUM!!! a lot of nice like minded ppl...LOL jk but that is another part i enjoy my fav part is the looks.. the questions.. spreading the MB virus... making others aware and conscious that there is a better way... to move.. and travel... a more productive manner... with less damage done to the world around you... how many MBs could be made with one car worth of metal???..... i like riding next to the guy in the hummer.. and thinking.... if only he knew... than running the red light......while he waits impatiently with his behemoth.....