NT vs. Racing Carb vs. CNC

GoldenMotor.com

rockonp04

Oct 1, 2010
California
I am wondering which is the best carb low HASSLE carb upgrade. I've got a stock carb on my bike and I'm wondering which is the best carb; the new NT carb from Spookytooth, the CNS Carb from Spookytooth, or the Racing carb from Pirate cycles. I was planning on getting a new NT carb but I've been told the performance won't be much different than the stock carb. Also I am putting a slant head on, and i got a billet intake on, and I am getting a expansion exhaust. Any suggestions?

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i run the "new" NT carbs. the one with the fuel shut off that grubee promotes. it's basically the same as the "speed" carb (the one with the ugly pink airbox) but in my opinion, it runs better.

the CNS, again, in my opinion, and without having ever used one, is a piece of crap. 95% of the people on this forum can't get them to work right. i figure, if i'm gonna get a tuneable carb, i'm gonna buy a mikuni or a dellorto. not that that would help those 95%, 'cause they don't understand carbs anyway...

my point, which is somewaht clouded in alcohol, is i think the NT carb is a great carb, and it's set up just right for these engines. ya just gotta know what you're doing...

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
the older NT's are the ones without the fuel shut-off. those are a little smaller than the newer NT's with the shut-off.

then the "speed" carb looks exactly like the NT except for the pink airbox, (and it says "speed" on it) and someone told me they were 3mm larger.

by larger i mean it has a bigger throat, so in theory, it should be faster. or at least, it flows more, which all depends on if your engine can handle it.

i've run all three of these. the Speed carb cracked at the mounting flange, and i replaced it with an older NT. didn't notice any difference.

on my fastest bike, i sealed off the fuel shut off on the newer NT because the cheap plastic petcock leaked, and i polished the inside of the carb, smoothed out the "steps" you see if you look down it's throat, and basically cleaned it all up real pretty-like. works great and hauls butt.

rockonp04

Oct 1, 2010
California
I think I am going to get a new NT since I just don't want to bother with tuning. I can't get my bike to idle so there is no way I can tune a carb.

Black_Moons

Oct 25, 2010
Canada, Bc
I love my CNS racing carb. Got it nicely tuned.. Ended up using the 'stock' carb needle to lean it out a little at WOT. (Yea yea main jet blah blah they are on order)
Works well for me.. After I replaced that pathetic excuse for an air filter it came with.. with a 2" ID by 4" 'sock' style filter :)

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
since my last post in this thread, my newer NT with the fuel shut off crapped out on me. the carb body's still fine, it's the fuel shut off part (again.) when i was replacing the fuel line, the "barb" cracked off of it so i couldn't put the line back on.

i replaced the whole carb with an older NT (without shut-off) and it works great. didn't lose any speed, and i love it.

(edit: thank you Justin at Pirate for the carbs!)

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
I always end up coming back to the dialed in stock NT. Right jet. Needle slightly re-tapered. I do need a new bowl gasket....sucker leaks a little after 3 years.

I don't think the crudeness of the engine allows full benefit of a super sophisticated carb.

MotorNut123

Aug 31, 2010
New York
I am wondering which is the best carb low HASSLE carb upgrade. I've got a stock carb on my bike and I'm wondering which is the best carb; the new NT carb from Spookytooth, the CNS Carb from Spookytooth, or the Racing carb from Pirate cycles. I was planning on getting a new NT carb but I've been told the performance won't be much different than the stock carb. Also I am putting a slant head on, and i got a billet intake on, and I am getting a expansion exhaust. Any suggestions?

The CNS carb is fully tunable which would go good with the expansion chamber. At least that's what I think cause I'll be getting the intake, exhaust and carb also

MotorNut123

Aug 31, 2010
New York
The thing I like about the CNS is that it comes with the choke adjustment to mount on the handlebars. Is the NT really a "day and nite" difference like the site says? If I do get the NT I'll put a performance air filter and pirates intake.