Google Maps Cruisin'

GoldenMotor.com

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Hey all, I thought this would be a fun idea. As you may, or may not, know... Google maps has a route planner. And as you may, or may not, know... you can save your routes for others to see. Most of the time we can even use Google 'Street View' to follow any route.

Here is a couple of examples of a 'route' made with Google maps:

The Ride - 32miles - Google Maps

1st long cruise - Google Maps

Now for 'Street View', what you do is click and drag that little yellow fellow out onto the map. Anywhere that shows up Blue means the Google Car has been down that road. Release your click with the yellow guy on a 'blue' road and you will be right there.

How you do this is first go to Google.com, then hit 'Maps' to bring up the map view.

Now, you do need a google account to save any routes made, then you will be able to post a link to any route after saving it. If you have a gmail account, you're good. If you don't have a Gmail account, it takes 30s to set one up.

Once in the Google Maps section, select 'My Maps', then 'Create new Map' just under that.

-Three icons will appear at the upper left of where ever you happen to be looking. Click and hold on the squiggly line, and select "Draw Lines Along Roads"

From there you can start plotting your favorite route!

Once you're done plotting your route, hit save to save it. Then you can hit the link button in the top right corner to be able to post your route here.

If you have any troubles, feel free to ask.

Happy Route Plotting Everyone!

Last edited:

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
I forgot all about this thread, looks like a great cruise george.

Dang Goat, even unzoomed that pic makes the page wiggy, funny if you can wait 5min for it to load :p

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
map quest has a free ap for both iphones and droids. great ap. turn by turn direction and works as well as any gps unit i ever purchased for my car. they make lots of bicycle mounts for you smart phone. has quick looks for hotels, restaurants, airports, coffee, bars, post offices, schools and lots of other places. only thing it dosnt have is speedometer and odometer but most already have them on their motorized bicycles