using only one chain

GoldenMotor.com

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
heres a pic of a build i'm working on that uses only one chain to drive the bike, all on the left side. using sbp 4 stroke shift kit parts, i've put the free wheel on backwards with every thing on the left side, i milled a slot as a key way in the free wheel holder that lines up with one of the four notch's in the free wheel and made a key and bolted it in so the free wheel can't unscrew, i've ridden it peddaling and it's working good, real low geared for peddaling, about like 2nd gear on a multi speed bike.

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Nice trick! I see the order of events where the motor sprocket leaves no stress on the free wheel too. Cool to know the flipping of the free wheel is doable. Good job I love it!(^)

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
i took it for a ride last night under motor power, runs great, chain set up works great. you can adjust the chain by moving the rear wheel or the idle sprocket is also mounted on a slotted bracket, the chain is only about 10" longer than normal and theres only one.
using the freewheel on the left would make the left side drive geared derailer system that was talked about in the other thread possible.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Wow, sign me up. I want to follow this thread for sure. Is there any chance you and Kyle will be doing these modifications for sale? (say yes). You just keep coming up with things! If you ever need a willing test pilot, I'm the one with his hand up yelling "me, me me!"
S.B.

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
i'm not planing on making this a kit or anything, it's just the way i'll be building my 4 stroke bikes from now on. (i don't see why it couldn't also be done with a 2 stroke)
it would work well with the left side shift kit jim is working on. anyone who wants to try it is welcome to use the idea.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
So with a two stroke the only real modification is in the free wheel, allowing it to be flipped? Do you have any photos of the freewheel modification you made? I'm thinking, something I could take to a machinist and say... "like the one in the picture". I'm planning to build a set of wheels this winter and am thinking this would be a really good thing to do. And as you say, it could go along with Jim's three sprocket/ derailleur set up. Very cool innovation, Cam.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Any chance of cutting a key way with a dremel and diamond bits? What about an internal three speed freewheel hub... in principle that should be possible, too?

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Where'd you get the freewheel holder? I've been trying to make one from a cut off crank arm and a crank bearing cup but what you have would be a lot easier to deal with.