Gettn Angry

GoldenMotor.com

OSCAR383

Jul 22, 2008
WEST FRANKFORT, IL
I Have S Schwinn Stingray With A Chinese 80cc Or Whatever It Is And I Need Help . I Think Ive Figured Out The Problem But Want To Be Sure. I Took It Across Town For The First Time Yesterday When I Returned (20 25 Min Trip) It Would Die If I Pulled In The Clutch And I Was Having Trouble When I Hit Bumps That The Choke Would Close And Try A Choke It Out And I Would Reach Down Open It And Go On . When I Returned I Discovered The Intake Gasket Was Mostly Gone So I Bought Some Felpro Paper And Made A Gasket And It Spits And Sputters And I Have To Pedal My Big But Off To Get It To Pick Up Speed. Its My Belife That The Choke Problem Fouled The Plug Problem Is The Plug Cant Come Out Of The Engine With Out The Engine Coming Out Of The Bike ( Plug Sits In Between The Cannie Levers On The Stingray.very Tight Fit). Just Thought Id See What You Guys Think

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
I'd try using some RTV on both sides of that intake gasket (don't get sloppy with it though, don't want that in the motor) to make sure there are no air leaks and see if that helps. If not, I think you're going to want to pull that plug and check it. Wish there was an easier way for you to get at that plug though.

Also, double check all your electrical connections.

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
I can't seem to find it, but there was someone that found a shorter plug. Maybe some one will remember where it was shoot a link. If you had a shorter plug you might break the end off of the plug on your bike and put in the shorter plug. A bit drastic but better than pulling the engine......................

OSCAR383

Jul 22, 2008
WEST FRANKFORT, IL
Thanks For The Help But Im A Moron And A Big One At That . I Discovered That When I Bolted The Intake Back On I Did Not Tighten The Carb. (slapping Self On Forehead) I Just Need To Go To The Hardware Store And Buy A Bolt And Nut To Fit The Hole ( Old One Vibrated Out And Is Somewhere If Front Yard) And I Should Be Good To Go (^)

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I have the same problem with the choke...
Tie a rubber band onto the choke lever, & stretch the other end down onto the engine mount stud... this will keep the choke open while riding!

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
You can tighten the hardware that holds the choke together and it will keep it in place most of the time. Use loctite on it too. (the hardware).

Drewd

Jul 25, 2008
Colorado
When I read your intake gasket blew after 25 miles, I checked mine and it was also partially blown. Thanks for sharing.

OSCAR383

Jul 22, 2008
WEST FRANKFORT, IL
What size stingray to you have? I am looking at a 20" and I don't think an engine would fit it.
IVE GOT A 20" STINGRAY YOU WILL HAVE TO REPLACE THE ENGINE STUDS WITN BOLTS AND SHAVE A LITTLE OF THE METAL AWAY FROM THE TOP CYLINDER COOLING FINS TO CLEAR THA CANNIE LEVERS BUT ITS A TIGHT FIT

(c)

IM ALSO GONNA TRY A ENGINE SPROCKET FROM THATSDAX TO USE THE SKINNIER CHAIN AND I CAN PROBABLY PUT THE DRAG SLICK BACK ON. :)

Last edited:

OSCAR383

Jul 22, 2008
WEST FRANKFORT, IL
FINISHED BIKE, ILL START FROM THE BEGINNING I ORIGIONALLY HAD THE KILL SWITCH WIRED TO THE WHITE WIRE AND GROUNDED TO THE ENGINE. I READ THAT THAT WASNT A GOOD IDEA SO I WIRED IN RED KILL TO BLUE OF COIL AND MAGNETO. ALSO FOR SAKES OF CLEARANCE I GOT THE CHAMPION SHORTY PLUG CJ7Y AND THOSE ARE THE TWO THINGS I HAVE CHANGED AND BIKE JUST DOESNT HAVE THE POWER. IT ONCE DID. THEY SHOULDNT HAVE CAUSED THIS SHOULD THEY.???

nitroscope8

May 26, 2008
Long Island, New York
You have your perception of choke and run position backwards. Your intake was blown and therefore you NEEDED CHOKE to keep fuel in the engine. Choke is UP on the carb. When you fixed your intake leak you need to put the choke OFF, which is DOWN (the direction it keeps falling). Start the engine and put that lever toward the ground. Ill bet your engine runs perfect after this.

OSCAR383

Jul 22, 2008
WEST FRANKFORT, IL
Gettn Happy Now

My Bikes Latest Hissy Fit Has Been Overcome . I Regapped Plug No Change Tried A Different Carb. Cut Out The Kill Switch . No Change I Adjusted The Metal Sleve That Comes Out Of The Throttle Assemby And It Gave My Engine The Top End Power Back I Had From Before The Paint Job. Now I Can Start Riding To Work And Back With No Worries. ...... For Now