Power generation from scooter motor- belt driven

GoldenMotor.com

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
Almost forgot to do this post.
Here are some pics of my set-up. I kept the shopping bags from the gas/ electric set up because I like to ride this like a bike and prefer the engine to be not seen.
The drive side of the engine is a little cluttered, but you can make out the arrangement.
Oh, the stop light switch is from an appliance, I placed it on the rear brake caliper.
In the second pic, the copper looking thingy is a belt guide of sorts- when the "clutch" is pulled in, the guide keeps the belt near the pulley so it doesn't drag on the engine. Another guide is on the top side.
I am using a HT clutch lever that pulls back the engaging spring loaded idler (clutch). Works real nice- super light clutch action and bites good.
Brakes are a dual pull lever acting on a "V" up front and caliper in back (gorilla grip but stops good). Always avoid caliper brakes if you can- they are pitiful. I extended the arms to get more pressure to the pads.
The 250 watt "generator" is held in place by a band clamp to a home built pivot/mount. Gives adjustment sidewise and holds good. A spring pulls the belt somewhat tight. Had to grind a little off the motor shaft diameter to fit the pulley (pulley from McMaster-carr- love that place).

Attachments

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
I am required to have lights on all the time here in NY.
And the HF has no output for it.
The 250w would work without a battery, but I thought the battery would be nice to provide light at engine off riding and absorb any xtra juice at higher rpm.
Note- if anyone does this with a battery- you must get the polarity right and use a diode on the output wire from the "generator" (or a manual on/off swich) so the generator doesn't "motor" when not spun by the engine.

This set-up provides enough light for my use.
I am using a Puch headlight with a single prong 12v lamp (like in a tail light) another one for the stop light and 2 marker lights (one to light up the license plate and another as a tail light).
For more light power, a bigger scooter motor can be used- like a 450w, but it will draw more power from the engine. My set-up doesn't seem to take much power to run.
If this were put on a 2 stroke with a lot of rpm potential, you would need a regulator (like a snowmobile or tractor), but the HF is very rev limited - I am still using the governor.

bowljoman

Aug 7, 2010
Wa
They make those scooter motors with electric starters that double as generators while running.