question on my exhaust setup

GoldenMotor.com

HoopteeRider

Jun 16, 2010
Florida
Im sure this has been asked before but i cant find any post on the subject of the length of pipe that is before the expansion chamber. I have had many setbacks with placement of this pipe. mounting upwards near the seat is too hot on my inner leg so thats a no go. running it under the crank seems to me the way to go. I have seen all the pictures of other installation methods with the longer silencers but for me my tire is rubbing the exp chamber at the joint where the silencer meets, so there again no go. I even thought of running over the back tire like a fender but the pipe IMO was too long. So this is my only option (see pic) that i can see for a nice fit. My question is how long should my pipe be before the chamber? it is at 9 inches from the exhaust manifold to the opening of the chamber now but i can slide the collar another inch and a half foward more with this setup. however i just wanna weld it up and be done with the spring thingy. any advice would be nice. Also my foot is smokin any pros and cons for header wrapping the intire pipe with header wrap?

and Thanks for all the great info on this site that the members post.

Attachments

Last edited:

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
What you have in your first pic looks perfect!! Go ahead; weld it up & be done with it! :D
You can wrap the whole thing in header wrap, but I think it looks like a broken arm in a cast! laff

HoopteeRider

Jun 16, 2010
Florida
I had a century ac welder 20 percent duty cycle that i purchased from Costco for 80 bucks that lasted for 8 years before it pooped out. BUt lucky me i found this Lincoln ac/dc 250 100 percent duty cycle with wheel cart at a yard sale for 50 bucks! Hail the yard sales!

HoopteeRider

Jun 16, 2010
Florida
Look at the opening in the middle pic of the flange,does that look ok :confused:
The flange on the left is from a 25 HP Kawasaki Vtwin the one on the right is the flange that came with the expansion chamber pipe. I will leave it for you to guess which one I welded to the front of the pipe. j/k I went with the one that came with the pipe only because the other wasnt as nice a fit as the stock SBP but i did run a porting tool on it first.dnut

Last edited:

ken murphy

Sep 19, 2008
Im sure this has been asked before but i cant find any post on the subject of the length of pipe that is before the expansion chamber. I have had many setbacks with placement of this pipe. mounting upwards near the seat is too hot on my inner leg so thats a no go. running it under the crank seems to me the way to go. I have seen all the pictures of other installation methods with the longer silencers but for me my tire is rubbing the exp chamber at the joint where the silencer meets, so there again no go. I even thought of running over the back tire like a fender but the pipe IMO was too long. So this is my only option (see pic) that i can see for a nice fit. My question is how long should my pipe be before the chamber? it is at 9 inches from the exhaust manifold to the opening of the chamber now but i can slide the collar another inch and a half foward more with this setup. however i just wanna weld it up and be done with the spring thingy. any advice would be nice. Also my foot is smokin any pros and cons for header wrapping the intire pipe with header wrap?

and Thanks for all the great info on this site that the members post.
theres acouple things I see-you can make a spacer that goes between the pipe n cylinder out of thin aluminum trace the port on the cylinder to get a close match put a rubber gramet on the silencer end get rid of the spring once that angle has been established mount the pipe staight to the engine.
get some flange bolts for your head pipe n carbuator get away from studs bolt it straightdnut in much cleaner even allen head bolts are better than studs. also a lil stinger seems to even the power band out about 6-8 inches long, before or ater the silencer

Attachments