Staton gear box bearings shot !

GoldenMotor.com

robin

Nov 15, 2008
Penticton British Columbia Canada
Any of you guys had a problem with the sealed bearings in STATON gear box blowing out? I burnt the clutch out at 1400 miles probably because the bearings blew and there was extra drag on the clutch--(not warranteed- i called ) but the bearings inside the gear box arent either so much for being bullet proof-what does the warranty cover?-the bearings went all thru the gearbox and pitted some of the gears--so now im worried they may blow again--im doing a 1200 mile trip in a month.

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
That's scary! Do you plan on getting some extra bearings or gearbox to throw in the tool bag? 1200 is close to 1400!

robin

Nov 15, 2008
That's scary! Do you plan on getting some extra bearings or gearbox to throw in the tool bag? 1200 is close to 1400!
No ill just take my chances if it happens on the trip ill take it off the bike and pedal it and give it to some kid for a boat anchor--then i definetly will give up the sport and buy a real motorcycle or just pedal.
I replaced the stock Chinese bearings with Chicago made SKF agricultural bearings at 15 bucks each

Last edited:

Buddy

Jul 7, 2009
Ogden, Utah
Don't keep the chain anywhere near as tight as Staton says. I keep at least an 1-1 1/2" of slack, not the 1/8 inch Staton recommends. When the chain doesn't have enough slack the gearbox is noisy. Bearings maybe?

robin

Nov 15, 2008
My questions have been answered in full by Dave Staton today -- they have a first class product and i just got a one in a million problem. I still will do business with them and still recommend them highly!!

Buddy

Jul 7, 2009
Ogden, Utah
I love my Staton. I've got about 1500 miles on mine without any problems except a split in the fuel line right where the line goes into the gromet on the gas tank. A trip to Home Depot and $3 fixed that.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Robin, You Sure Have Had More Than Your Share Of Trouble!! It Seems To Me That You Have Tried To Buy The Best Available, To Avoid Trouble! If I Remember Correctly, You Were Not Feeling The Best Either, A While Back. I Hope It All Turns Around For You. Best Of Luck, Ron

Stoney

Jan 23, 2009
santa barbara
When you say that you talked to david today... I would do business with him again. What did he actually do? You didn't state that. Is he replacing the parts that got destroyed? and honered his warranty?dnut