4 cycle kits

GoldenMotor.com

RickR

Jan 2, 2010
Wisconsin
Hi:

I am in the planning stages for my second build which will be with a 4 cycle engine.
I have narrowed it down to two kits.
Either the 50cc honda with the grubee stage 3 gearbox kit from bicycle-engines.com
Or the 49cc Huasheng 49cc with the new belt drive Q matic from EZ motorsports.
I would like to know which one of the two would you choose,any help would be
appreciated.
Rick:

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
I don't think you could really go wrong with either. I have no direct experience with the EZM, but everything I have heard is positive.

The Honda/Grubee is the devil I know...and I like mine (mine is a Stage II, but internally, they seem to be the same). It's going to sound like I am knocking the Honda/Grubee, but I am not- I just have over 2 years on this setup and know its ins and outs.

I have not had this problem myself, but some people have had gear teeth chewed up on the clutch bell. Not me, mine are like new, but it has been an issue for a couple of people. Also, the Honda is set up with a governor and a throttle that does not lend itsef to twist throttle use without modification....but it's been done a lot, so there are plenty of solutions. There is also the ongoing saga of whether to run it wet or dry. I ran it wet- slipped a lot, then I ran it with grease- quiet, but....we can do better....so thinking about going back to wet, but with changes. Then there is the noise- some gearbozes are louder than others, my gears sing at times- not bad.

Good luck!

Hi RickR,

Just wanted to comment on the HS & Honda motors. I have both motors on test bikes and will happily past on information.

Both motors are fantastic! The Honda has a little more bottom end power [not much], but the HS has a slightly higher top end [not much]. I have over 2500 miles on the HS and about 1000 miles on the Honda, both are worthy MB motors. They are so close in appearance & performance it is almost impossible to tell the difference. Both start easily, idle smoothly, rev quickly, and get great mileage. We have far more experience with the HS motor and "zero problems" would be the best way to describe the 49 CC 4-stroke powerhouse.

Mike [one of the EZM owners] is also testing both motors in CA, and has reported similar results.

You just can't go wrong with either motor.

Have fun,