pictures of your 40's-50's cruisers

GoldenMotor.com

mpr455

Jun 27, 2009
lombard il
Great Posts Guys, Keep Em Comin!! Here Is Some Pictures Of My Rear Hub Which I Made From Scratch. It Is A Split Collar Machined From 6061 Aluminum, The Stand Offs Are Made From 6061 As Well. The Sprocket Is A Stock Grubee Except What I Did Was Put The Sprocket On A Mandrel Then Indicate The Teeth As Close As Possible To Zero Runout Then I Machined The Center Bore For A Tight Slip Fit On The Grease Cover On The Hub. This Makes Everything Run True. The Hub Is Your Standard 1.528.so The Split Collar When Tightned Becomes A Press Fit And The Sprocket Is Not Attached To The Spokes In Any Way. I Posted My Machine Shop Service Ad In The Classified Section Check It Out And If Your Interested Contact Me. I Will Make More Of These For About Fifty Dollars Each. I 'am Also In The Process Of Making Patterns To Cast A Finned Aluminum Box With A Clamp For Your Ignition Box. No More Broken Tabs! Hope To Get This Done Around The First Of The Year. Keep On Posting Your 40-50's Crusiers. Thanks Big Mike

Attachments

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
Nice bikes EVERYONE! Alot of craftsmanship there to admire in all those bikes on this thread. It takes alot of time, love and money to get those bikes looking and running the way you guys do it.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
A girl forgotten...

Came across this build today while pokin' round an old barn. Dunno squat about it other than the builder didn't do much with it after he got it to this stage, there isn't even fifty miles on the engine - as far as I know she just sits there. BTW, that's old school aluminum FTW :D

So, while I'm not sure if she's even the right decade for this thread (I think she is?), I thought this sweet ride deserved some lovin' from folks who would appreciate her;

Attachments

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
A girl forgotten...

Came across this build today while pokin' round an old barn. Dunno squat about it other than the builder didn't do much with it after he got it to this stage, there isn't even fifty miles on the engine - as far as I know she just sits there. BTW, that's old school aluminum FTW :D

So, while I'm not sure if she's even the right decade for this thread (I think she is?), I thought this sweet ride deserved some lovin' from folks who would appreciate her;
It is nice. No head badge or decals? It seems to me that I've seen that chain guard before...
SB

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Honestly, I didn't even think to look at the time. I was so busy lookin' at other, older bicycles there and yappin' I spaced it lol

I will be going back tho, that barn was filled :D

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
duuuuuuuuuude.... that's a 1930's wards / hawthorne duralium. if you have a chance to buy that cheap, BUY IT. ask if he's got the original skiptooth sprocket. the rear rack and rear fender don't look right, either.

but that bike, in original, complete condition, is worth, i dunno, about 2 grand...

tell him to take that motor off before he ruins it. those frames ain't the strongest, that motor will tear it apart.

man, i'm drooling over here...

and the guy's using it as a lamp?

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Yeah - buying it isn't an option that much I do know, but I'll mention the potential for damage next time I'm over there. I'm thinkin' about trying to talk him into selling me one of the other bikes there, but it's a collection - and he has a pretty clear idea of what they're worth.

I'm pretty much clueless about value when it comes to old bikes, so I didn't ask him about buying any of them... yet. Once I get some numbers in my head I'll talk to him again. Who knows? Maybe he'll sell one and I'll build a classic next heh

Oh yeah, I guess 1930s is too old fer this thread lol oops and it's not mine :(

Last edited:

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Bairdco, When You Said Lamp, I Had To Look Again. Busted Out Laughing Out Loud!! I Had Missed That Lamp. You Have To Admit, The Guy Has Good Deco Skills. Ron

scabz24

Oct 16, 2009
dunedin fl.
A girl forgotten...

If I m not mistaken that bike you have there is a MONARCH silver king one of the first aluminum production cruisers of its time its faily rare these days and also pretty valuable for an old cruiser great bike,glad to see you are going to use it as opposed to sell it for a bunch of $ I beilieve bikes should be ridden and admired not just the latter,great bike enjoy it!

Lucas

Jun 8, 2010
Rhode Island
Here are a few pics of my 1959 J.C Higgins Bike. Just about everrything on this bike is original including rims new spokes tho. i wired in a led light pack behind original headlight cover. I also put 15" led strips on both sides of the top frame bar. looks like a spaceship rides like a Caddy!

Attachments

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
OK to include non motorized?

I restored this 50's Hawthrone about 20 years ago, it was a real basket case when I got it with a THICK layer(s) of brushed on paint.

Non original luggage rack, headlight, chain guard. And brakes/10 speeds from a department store mountain bike. (I live in a town with very steep hills)

-Kirk

Attachments

Last edited:

mpr455

Jun 27, 2009
lombard il
cool bike, looks like my 46 as you have the fender type chain guard. early graphics, it is unusaual that it has no rack. my 50 rocket has no rack and no horn. that will be a very cool motorbike keep us posted on your build-big mike

Mike GeniuS

Oct 27, 2010
florida
MPR455, I have the original rack (it's pinstriped,too) & I also have (can't find 'em) the front strut rods. It has the original electric (2 D batteries) pushbutton horn. It still works! (you can see button in pic)
If you can identify the exact year that would be awsome. My dad says he got it for christmas in 1950, but I think it's older. I can give the model number under the cranks if that'll help.

Last edited:

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
MikeGeniuS, did you get to join the CABE? You may want to look up the National Bicycle History Archive of America. They will give you information about your bike but look up thier site. They have a very detailed list of do's and don'ts.

Steve.

Mike GeniuS

Oct 27, 2010
florida
I tried again, & they would'nt let me join. It's saying the same thing. I don't get it. I even used other email address & wifes' info. I don't get it. What it's saying makes no sense. What the heck is {incorrect confirmation code}? There is NO confirmation code.