Got it built...

GoldenMotor.com

phoobarnvaz

Oct 28, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
My buddy & I have been working on this for a couple of weeks...with me ordering parts for the past month or so. Except for the following items...it's ready to get on the road...

1. Greasing the gears in the gearbox. (A bear getting the cover off.)
2. Setting up the front brakes. (Run new cables & adjusting the pads for the new wheels.)
3. Getting the throttle correctly hooked to the carb. (For some reason the set screw pulls the cable too tight to get any play & the pix & directions are not clear.)
4. Adding gas & oil to case/tank. (Got a quart of Valvoline HD30 for this on recommendation from former race car driver I work with.)
5. Lowering the seat to a better riding position. (Feels like my "boys" are going to end on the top bar just riding it.)

Phoobar MB 3a.jpg

Phoobar MB 4a.jpg

Phoobar MB 5a.jpg

You will see a 42" sissy bar that I replaced...since the clamp-on one would never have worked. In the last photo...I have a pair of black magnesium pedals on the extra-wide crank...with 12 guage spokes on the wheels with white wall tires. Have kept the front hand brakes...but went with rear coaster brakes.

Some of the things we ran into while building was the drive chain rubbing against the tire. Used another axle bolt to "push" the frame out when we bolted the rear tire on. Gave us plenty of room for the drive chain.

The most important thing is that I'm going to have to lose some weight just to be able to ride my MB. Have found my back isn't the best for getting on/off the bike. Plus...will help my general health as well. May even have to put a saddle on it...till after I get some weight off.;(

Last edited:

phoobarnvaz

Oct 28, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Nice. The banana seat and ape hangers bring back memories of the muscle bikes of the 70s.
Was over on another MB site & found several others who had run with ape hangers & banana seat. Never understood why this look hasn't come back. 1 good thing...did find a decent place in LA to get my parts...great selection with decent prices. Being out of state...NO SALES TAX!!!

Had an actual red Schwinn (Chicago USA) 2 speed with the slick for the back tire...ape hangers & banana seat. Bad childhood...good bike. Wished I still had it...but long gone 30-40 years ago.

I do this again...will be starting from scratch with the frame & going all the way with a 2 stroke this time or switch engines. Got my eye on something like a stretch...chopper or even limo frame. Owner of local bike shop is wanting to build a limo MB.

phoobarnvaz

Oct 28, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
NICE BUILD PHOO, THANKS FOR SHARING. DO YOU HAVE A FREEWHEEL SPROCKET ON THE TRANS OUTPUT SPROCKET? RON . . .cvlt1
Nope...just a standard coaster brake setup which came with the wheel. Ended up taking the rear brakes off which came with the bike originally & am using the coaster for the rear & standard cantilever for the front. Believe it will give me enough braking power under any condition but ice. Love "Ice Road Truckers"...so may have to get a set of chains for my MB...just like this use up there.;)

Have found a place I ordered my sissy bar which does have them in a 12 gauge wheel I may use for my next build. My buddy who helped me get it built is thinking about getting a 2 stroke for an old mountain bike which was rusting in the yard. He fixed it up & used many of the parts I took off the Schwinn for the decent parts I used on the MB build. Didn't cost him anything at all to get it up & running.