bike not moving

GoldenMotor.com

masterx1234

May 7, 2009
grayson Kentucky
ok so I just got finished building my motorized bicycle, whenever I disengage the clutch and try to pedal, it's impossible , it's like it's stuck or something, also when I pedal I hear air hissing out of the motor, I made sure the chain wasn't getting stuck and it's not the chain,can anyone help me?

mastafoo

May 9, 2009
Florida
I'm having the same problem - The rear tire will not move regardless of the clutch position. Do I have to take off the clutch plate cover and unscrew the small screw to fix this somehow? This is my first build, and I nearly got the engine started, but the clutch would keep seizing while in the free pedal position.

:-||

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Are you sure the cable is adjusted right and pulling the arm over enough? Can you disengage the clutch by pushing the lever over to the right?

mastafoo

May 9, 2009
Florida
That was my first suspect and even If I push the arm all the way the bike won't move. I can take off the protective plate on the other side and have the friction plates exposed - still no action. The chain looks good too, no bunches or anything.
This issue would happen when I first began pedaling the bike after I built it. I could correct the lock-up by moving backwards and moving forward again. When I tried to pedal fast enough to start the motor it locked up permanently, and the motor never started. This problem looks pretty dire, I think I could get a new engine block from the ebay seller but It won't be easy.

jonsmoke

Jul 30, 2009
Here
I am having the same problem I disengage the clutch and try to pedal, it's impossible , it's like it's stuck or something. ANY IDEAS?????

Magnarider66

Aug 1, 2009
Florida
its the actuator.i have the same problem.the actuator is a small shaft near the front sprocket with a ball at the end.mine fell out so i haveno clutch.try having someone push you while your on your bike.i just push off and it starts.itss hard the first few times.let me know if this helps
Brandon

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Here's a link to one of our sponsors. Motorized Bicycles Gas Bike Engines Gas Powered Bikes Motorized Bicycle Parts Check the exploded view of the clutch ( item 24 & 26) and order the pin and ball. It's not very safe to ride without the ability to disengage the clutch. After replacing the parts make sure you have the clutch cable adjusted properly. The lever on the side of the motor needs very little, almost no freeplay. The cable pull should be enough to disengage the clutch. If it is a new motor that has not been started sometimes a light tap with a hammer on the end of the pin will be enough to loosen the stuck clutch. You'll need to remove the clutch actuator cover to gain access to the pin. Make sure there is good lubrication on the actuator cam and the pin before reassembly.
Tom

jonsmoke

Jul 30, 2009
Here
The problem is that I cant even move the tire even with someone pushing me. I started to try and remove the piston to see if there was damage but none. So then out of the blue it started to move so i put everything back together and everything was working, then when i tired to ride it to start it locked up again. Then moved it backward and forward and it moved again then tired to start again then it locked up and now cant move it again!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
jonsmoke,
This sounds like the chain is binding in the engine. If the chain tension is too loose it will allow the chain to bind at the engine sprocket. There is very little room inside the clutch actuator cover for the chain links and if the chain is loose they will lock up inside the cover. 1/2" to 1" chain slack is what you want, measured at the center of the chain span on the top when pushing the bike forward. Your chain alignment is also important. Is it pulling to either side of the engine where it enters and exits? This too can contribute to a binding chain/sprocket inside the clutch actuator cover. Another thing to check is the chain itself. The kit supplied chains can sometimes have binds or kinks in them that is caused by tight rollers/pins. This can cause the chain to not conform properly to the sprocket and can cause binding on the samll engine sprocket and also cause the chain to jump off the rear sprocket, Inspect your chain for tight spots, kinks or twists. Replace it if it is not free of defects and get your chain tension/alignment set correctly.
Tom

Last edited: