Stock Kill switch (button)

GoldenMotor.com

brown bull

Nov 16, 2008
pittsburgh
Wow, the stock kill push button lasted about 4 months and literally fell apart this week. I made a new one from a switch from radio shack which cost about $2.50. The new switch is much better made, but it took a bit of effort to fabricate the mount.

commander

Mar 19, 2009
penn state
nice idea bull. basically any toggle switch could be used as a kill switch. cause all your doing is interupting power flow. so your idea was prolly the fastest and easiest to mod

brown bull

Nov 16, 2008
pittsburgh
Thanks for the feedback. The switch works great, I tried it tonight. The button grounds the circuit when pushed, but needs to be pressed again to un-ground the circuit. I guess it's a good theft prevention device too!

Ideally I should have selected the switch that was grounded only when pressed, but there were too many choices at RadioShack.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Bull,
Actually that switch you have is a good anti-theft device.
Anyone else looking for a kill switch? Ask for a 'momentary, normally open contacts' That's the correct terminology for the switch/buttons we use. Radio Shack, Ace hardware, any good electronics parts store.
Tom

fm2200

Nov 16, 2008
new york city
Anti theft device maybe, but the darn bikes are so light any jerk could just whip that gas bike into a pick up truck. I never leave mine unlocked ever, even at home, a guy across the street from me has 4 motorcycles, 3 ATV's, and had a brand new Yamaha ATV stolen from his garage,I never asked him if he locked his garage. I have friends that come over to my place and he thinks one of them stole it. He always giving my friends dirty looks when ever they come by. But I don't think a kill switch is much of a deterrent to a thief, especially with the lightness of these machines.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Wow, the stock kill push button lasted about 4 months and literally fell apart this week. I made a new one from a switch from radio shack which cost about $2.50. The new switch is much better made, but it took a bit of effort to fabricate the mount.
Cool BB, I really have to get one. LOL, I have not once on any MB had one last nearly as long as 4 months! Really like the thought of slowing down a potential thief. No way to stop a determined pro, but any thing that slows 'em down a bit is a good thing.

Bull,
Actually that switch you have is a good anti-theft device.
Anyone else looking for a kill switch? Ask for a 'momentary, normally open contacts' That's the correct terminology for the switch/buttons we use. Radio Shack, Ace hardware, any good electronics parts store.
Tom
Thanks Tom! I would have done that wonder up and down the isle thing and still not got the right one.