Transmission Mod Question

GoldenMotor.com

packrat79

Jun 19, 2008
I bought my first motorized bicycle last summer, a cheapo 49cc, and it seemed to work quite well. One of the biggest downers, however, was the single-speed transmission; while fine for speeds of about 15-25 kph, lower speeds would cause stalling and higher speeds produced excessive vibration. The worst part was having to push the bike up steep hills. I'm wondering if there's any way to modify this rig to allow multiple speeds, like a manual-shift transmission (or if there's another kit with this feature available). It would be great to have at least 3 different speeds.....

Clotho

May 25, 2008
Search the site for 'Shift kit' or better yet click on the vendor's ad on the side here. Look for the 'Got Gears' in blue letters.

or click here!

Sick Bike Parts

packrat79

Jun 19, 2008
I was actually trying to design just such a rig, I didn't know that I could buy it as a kit. It's quite pricey though - more than I paid for the engine itself. Is there enough performance gain to justify that price tag?

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
I was actually trying to design just such a rig, I didn't know that I could buy it as a kit. It's quite pricey though - more than I paid for the engine itself. Is there enough performance gain to justify that price tag?

Naturally we think so. Our customers seem to think so. Unless you have all the tools paid for and don't count design time - the cost difference will be a wash at best.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Hi Pack, Welcome, I See You Joined In June. I Have A Sbp Kit. It Is Well Designed And You Can Not Buy The Parts Cheaper. I Think It Is A Bargain. The Ht Kits Are A Real Buy At Current Prices. In All Endeavors, The Better You Do It, The More It Costs. I Am Not Afilliated, Just A Happy Buyer. Did You See My Cvt Belt Drive In Diy. The Shift Kit Is A Great Option. Imho. Ron

packrat79

Jun 19, 2008
I didn't realize I was talking to the vendor, sorry if I sounded like a cheapskate but money is in short supply these days. If I get some extra cash, I just might buy this kit.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
they sell engines with 3 speeds,but i cant find any one selling them anymore, and they also sell shift kits that uses your bikes gears on right side,i heard that works great.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
they sell engines with 3 speeds,but i cant find any one selling them anymore, and they also sell shift kits that uses your bikes gears on right side,i heard that works great.
Hi Cabin,

I think you may have seen a comment about a three speed engine kit from another thread on this forum. I remember the thread, but I can't remember what it was titled. The buyer was misled into believing he had bought an engine kit with three speeds. A China kit with an engine that has 3 speeds doesn't exist!

The SBP jackshaft kit is an excellent upgrade.

Direct drive with a single ratio will always be limiting.

Jim

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Can Anyone Tell Me What Kind Of Gear Box This Is. Also Will It Bolt Up To The Honda 50cc 4 Stroke Or The Hausang Clone? And The 35cc Honda 4 Stroke? Thanks. Ron
Hi Ron,

Looking at the diameter of the wheel sprocket, I would assume the unit attached to the engine is a very crude, bulky, speed reduction. Based on the size, I would guess a 4:1 reduction in an oil bath. If anyone on the forum is selling them...please don't take offense.

If this is, in fact, a simple reduction; it could be done in less than one fourth of the space.

Jim