45 miles in 2 hr. 8 mins this AM-my idea of an epic journey

GoldenMotor.com

Tom Allen

Aug 20, 2013
Chicago
I just finished a short long trip this morning. I went from Rockford Il to Crystal Lake Il--for those unfamiliar with the world's great cities, that is a distance of about 45 miles. I made it in 2 hours and 8 mins--according to my Cateye--doing an average of 20 miles per hour. Now, having a motor on a bike is a blessing and a curse. The blessing part is obvious. The curse is the motor allows you to be on the bike much longer and sitting much stiller than on a non powered bike.Also, a motor doesn't make a bike seat into an armchair. So Mr. A$$ can get really sore and cranky. Also your hands can get numb from the vibration of the engine--even though it might be pretty subtle it still can do a job on the nerves. About 3/4ths into my journey I was so stiff and numb I had to stop, kill my perky little honda 4 stroke, get down off my bike and stand there on the shoulder like a stunned steer. If you've every wondered what having rigor mortis feels like I think I can give you a very evocative description of that state--or just sit on a bike seat for almost two hours on a cool morning going 20 miles an hour and you can find out for yourself.Bottom line--make sure you have a BIG soft seat on your machine and wear gloves that might absorb or deaden the vibe. You would be well advised to get off the bike every hour or so and walk for a few mins. Just some things to ponder before you set out.

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
Tom

My buns were pretty numb on a short 15 mile trip the other day on a new build with a stock seat. Very first thing I did when I got home was to order one of these
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Avenir-Classic-Cruiser-Saddle-Brown-Comfortable-Hiking-Bike-Seat-NEW-/221478531847?pt=US_Saddles_Seats&hash=item3391263307
I have used this same seat in a couple of my previous motorbicycle builds and it is 100X more comfortable then that terrible stock seat I have on my bike now.

Planning a 50 mile round trip one day during the last weekend of July with a few fellow motorbicyclers on this site....so after reading your post, I am really looking forward to getting the new seat.

I live just west of Peoria...so if you ever want to run down to central Illinois for a cruise....there are some some nice quiet country blacktops around me.

Hope you find something a bit more a$$ friendly before your next long cruise.lol

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
A good saddle is a must, I have a schwinn oversize that is great. I did 70 miles in one day a couple of years ago and it helped a lot, I still had to take breaks but it made the ride more enjoyable.

Last edited:

Tom Allen

Aug 20, 2013
Chicago
Tom

My buns were pretty numb on a short 15 mile trip the other day on a new build with a stock seat. Very first thing I did when I got home was to order one of these
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Avenir-Classic-Cruiser-Saddle-Brown-Comfortable-Hiking-Bike-Seat-NEW-/221478531847?pt=US_Saddles_Seats&hash=item3391263307
I have used this same seat in a couple of my previous motorbicycle builds and it is 100X more comfortable then that terrible stock seat I have on my bike now.

Planning a 50 mile round trip one day during the last weekend of July with a few fellow motorbicyclers on this site....so after reading your post, I am really looking forward to getting the new seat.

I live just west of Peoria...so if you ever want to run down to central Illinois for a cruise....there are some some nice quiet country blacktops around me.

Hope you find something a bit more a$$ friendly before your next long cruise.lol
That is a nice seat for sure. The first thing I did when I got the bike. before I even mounted the GEBE kit was to change out the seat.The seat that came with the bike was an instrument of torture. I could have possibly reused it by attaching a handle to it and using it as a shovel. Here is what I put on in its place: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000DZF6WO/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I can't complain about the seat. It is fine for getting around town and even on my long ride it wasn't too bad. No bike seat is going to be a bed of roses. But I can see how the seat you ordered could make a real difference.
Thanks for the invitation. If I ever get down that way and I have a viable bike I will try to contact you.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
About an hour is enough for me between breaks, My hands begin to feel like I've been mowing the lawn with a push mower.

Going2Hell

Nov 22, 2013
Victor, Colorado
www.facebook.com
Luckily I started my build with a Huffy Panama Jack cruiser, the seat has those lil' suspension springs on it. I attempted a long journey that had me on that bike seat for over 8 hours a day! Don't get me wrong, my a$$ wasn't exactly at the Ramada butt I would've hated to be on any other seat at that point in time.

I do have the schwinn oversize seat, but find it hard and akward to pedal from a sitting position. the seat itself is great though, like Dr. Scholls for the nether regions...

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
Luckily I started my build with a Huffy Panama Jack cruiser, the seat has those lil' suspension springs on it. I attempted a long journey that had me on that bike seat for over 8 hours a day! Don't get me wrong, my a$$ wasn't exactly at the Ramada butt I would've hated to be on any other seat at that point in time.
I believe all the current Huffy cruiser models use the same seat. Different fabrics and color depending upon the model, but pretty much the same seat. So I am surprised to read that you were able to make an 8 hour trip on one. I would have been experiencing some extreme numbness!

So I have come to the thought that perhaps since I am 230lbs I may be bottoming out the springs on the stock Huffy seat and perhaps those stock seats are ok for a lighter rider. The Aviner Cruiser saddle has much heavier duty springs in the back and front and is able to handle my weight.

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0010...qid=1404847205&sr=8-10&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70

The big wide cushy cloud 9 seat is the best I have used, softer and more comfy than several others I 've had, I've made several trips ranging from 35-50 miles and the cloud 9 seat leaves my backside feeling the best after a long ride.

Map
If I may ask a personal question ...are you under 200 or over? Just curious about that cloud 9 seat and what weight might be to get optimal performance?

The two Avenir cruiser saddle seats I bought for my previous 2 motorized bikes are great for me and had some serious heavy duty springs. However they may not be optimal for a lighter rider. Just curious about the cloud 9 because I may be building another bike for a guy somtime this summer and I know he will be wanting to ditch the stock seat and my Avenir might be too stiff for him because he is soo much lighter then me.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
If I may ask a personal question ...are you under 200 or over? Just curious about that cloud 9 seat and what weight might be to get optimal performance?

The two Avenir cruiser saddle seats I bought for my previous 2 motorized bikes are great for me and had some serious heavy duty springs. However they may not be optimal for a lighter rider. Just curious about the cloud 9 because I may be building another bike for a guy somtime this summer and I know he will be wanting to ditch the stock seat and my Avenir might be too stiff for him because he is soo much lighter then me.
currently Im about 215 and I do a lot of riding on rough dirt roads so a good seat is a must for me and the cloud 9 hat I losted a link to is what I have on four of my bikes, there may be a better one out there but I aint used it yet if there is as far as the type of seat, it has springs and a very form fitting cushy paddin, I tend to sit a lot of my weigh toward the back of the seat and these have enty of support for that plus they're still nice a soft for long rides or rough road conditions.

map

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
give one of these seats a try and Ill bet you wont regret it, I have two of the first ones I bought on my first two bike builds and after over 3000 miles of rough use in the hot Texas sun they still look good as new, no cracks rips or tares, good bang for the buck in my opinion.

map

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
A good seat is a must as has been pointed out, however vibes are a worst enemy on a long run. If you are getting a bunch thru the bars it will really kill your hands. Being a long distance MB/MC rider I can tell you the butt recovers pretty well after a short time off a good seat. The hands are another matter. Once they have become cramped and numb its there for the duration. A break helps but its not long before they are back to the same condition. Best thing is to position the bar so you weight is off the wrists and do every thing possible to dampen the vibes. On the M/C I stop and stretch every 100mi or so, and the MB every hour or so. Properly set up with a fair number of breaks you can ride all day.

Tom Allen

Aug 20, 2013
Chicago
It seems to me I have come across somewhere or other an ad for handlebar grips that are designed to deaden vibration. Getting a pair of those--God knows what they are asking for them--might be part of a solution. Another thing would be puffy gloves of some kind. Or, wrap your present grips in some kind of foam rubber--there is a product available that would do the trick. I am thinking of black foam pipe insulator. It is cheap and labor, for this application, labor friendly.

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
Did get that Avenir Cruiser seat installed on my bike. Better then the stock seat that will make your back side feel like Ned Beatty's in Deliverance, but still a case of numb buns after a 20 mile round trip using the new seat.
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=55763&page=2

One thing that does not bother me surprisingly is my hands. I feel very little vibration in the handlebars and I think my hands could hold out all day. Just wish my back side would do as well. (Insert "Dueling Banjos" tune here)

sboricic123

Apr 15, 2013
Bailieboro, Ontario
I put a tractor sit with the back rest on mine. Lol. Just kidding.
I'm still riding with the original seat for 25-40 mile trips. I do stop and get off the bike quite often. Not due to a sore arse though. I only weigh 122 lbs. My fingers get numb as well after a bit.