Gearboxes and Lube

GoldenMotor.com

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
So I've been reading, all over, different threads about 4 stroke gearboxes, all of them. I have some Ideas for lube and reliability.
I've torn the bike down for paint and bicycle reconditioning. I fitted a new kit on a used mtb so I fitted everything up and got it working first.

I'll be taking a look at the "8" transmission to see if there is alignment issues and if gear lash is adjustable.

Has anyone tried Chilton's Hyperlube in any of the 4 stroke transmissions? It's pretty amazing stuff and could lube, possibly while still providing stiction enough for the clutch. But maybe a clutch conversion is in order; there is a brake and clutch recon/surfacing place locally.

What about wet clutch friction mtrl for the clutch? It's not rediculously expensive if they can do it. I've had other stuff done by them. I might be able to get a small run made for experimentation.

I think w/ a little work these transmissions could be made quite reliable, all of them.

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
There are plenty of good reliable gear boxes out there. That is not the problem. The problem is getting a super slender gear box that will keep the profile of the 4 stroke down to such that it can fit between the crank or will fit between a slightly modified crank since to be considered still a bicycle it needs to have a crank and pedals. so..There are 2 or 3 gear boxes that fit this bill. Problem is, those current gear boxes are not reliable at all. And that is the problem.. But.. I hope to have a solution in the next 18 months or so. That is my hope anyway. We at DAX are working on it. And we have a gear box that works great and is slender, it only needs some more modifications and testing and then of course patents and copyrights which take time also.. Enjoy the ride...

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Been looking for a gearbox for an unconventual build. I want to mount it away from the engine, not to it. Any ideas or links?

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
I like a chain. I think this would work. The bolt pattern should be the same for all the larger clutches. they are not expensive and look like it would hold up. Have fun, Dave

PS: I did 49cc gearbox on Ebay

Attachments

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
Yes.. I agree.. Problem with these is the Reduction is only 3:1 which is way to high. You would need a 72T or larger on a 26 inch wheel for this 3:1 reduction. Anything larger than a 60T becomes too large for a bicycle wheel as far as chain drive goes .