My first Moped rally ever! on a Schwinn Krate(frame)

GoldenMotor.com

nostyle

Nov 27, 2009
Cambodia Town
My friend Rob did a write up on it years ago. I will be reposting it here with pictures too!

Before the rally, I was told to keep the bike stock, which I did and wish I didn't. They didn't want me to blow up the bike...and the banana expansion pipe I had at the time would have helped greatly on the mountain inclines. I passed up some stock mopeds during the ride! That was fun, especially their reaction when I passed them up. The motor held up the whole time, had two flats and only one major accident...my springer fork's yolk two smaller bolts shot out due to vibrations from rough roads. I forgot to put loctite on the bolts...the forks were used rusted ones too... My forks / bike collapsed and I ate it. It was a good thing I was going up hill. I was fine and only had road rash. The moped crew patched me up good, they are awesome! Thanks Wayne! I scavenge bolts off my bike and was on the road again in no time. The ride through the woods with great company was one of the best rides I've ever been on to date! I would love to have a ride like this again, maybe a ride up to Big Sur and camp?
Well, here's Rob's post from "Bay Area Two Stroke":

"The three day event through the Redwoods to Santa Cruz Mountains and camping at Big Basin."
" Campin' with the Moped Heads
The Stinko De Juno 2010 was incredibly fun. We had Sunny weather, beautiful roads, amazing company – the food, Mel and her team made the best food I’ve ever had on a camping trip simply delicious.

Randy’s bike would have probably one one of the prizes if he had stayed the night, though the bikes that did win were fully deserving. Andrew made up aluminum statues of various bikes with different configurations which I’m sure the recipients will treasure.

Saturday’s ride was bitter sweat for me as my bike was having issues at anything around 8,000 rpm. Andrew suggested adjusting my needle, which I did Sunday morning and the bike ran much better. Riding from the campsite to the first gas station was a blast. After that traffic stacked up a bit, still fun at a slightly lower level. On the return trip Steve, Paul and Yancey took off only minutes before I got on my bike. I got stuck at a light and it took some hard riding to catch them. I had to infiltrate a group of Harley riders and sport bike riders to do it. :p

The Cuperteens ride fast and well as they were blazing through the mountains on Saturday – I look forward to more riding with Zac and his gang, and missed them on Sunday.

The support crew and vehicles allowed us to ride without the camping gear on our bikes providing the opportunity for spirited riding. The chase vehicle let us ride with abandon. Saturday Paul’s bike broke its Pollini for which on Sunday morning the entire group rallied forces to bring it back. Yancey had a spare kit which was employed – and then people just started tag teaming until the bike was running again, seriously everyone came out to get that bike back on the road – the photos will tell the story.

The Schwinn stingray build will delight you once the photos get posted. I expect to have some photos up tonight or tomorrow.

Big Basin was gorgeous – we lucked out and got the most tucked away campsite in the park. Way up in the back providing us a private road on which to test ride our repairs/adjustments – read sans hat and what not. =8

Late into the night on Saturday three motorcycles made it in from SF sporting Creatures. Half apologizing for attending Bella’s fabulous send off party (though not really as they described an amazing event) which caused them to miss the ride. Still they made it for the camping and were well received.

The rally kits were fun – they were a Moped Head stylized barf bag filled to the brim with goodies – a wrench, sugar stick, drugs (yeah really – vitamins, Ibuprofen, antacid), a figurine of a cop – so that you always had the man riding with you, and many other fun things.

A funny note – once camp was set up and we were starting to relax a bit Ranger Rick comes by to set the low down on camping out in his forest. He also stated that the Two Strokes were curfewed at 10 pm unless there was an emergency, as there were many actual reports of chain saws heard in the forest. :p

Such a wonderful weekend,

Rob "

To be cont.

Last edited:

nostyle

Nov 27, 2009
Cambodia Town

Hope you guys enjoy this repost! I sure do miss the Nor-Cal rides. There is one going on on 4/20 in SF and north bay area. Hosted by Rob too. If you do plan to attend, make sure your bike is fast, it'll be more fun for you. If not, just follow their route and party with them at the gas-ups. I wish I could go...