vm16 carb issues

GoldenMotor.com

dj.chicken1

Apr 28, 2012
australia
Ok so i have got a vm16 carb on the bike it came with a 85.5 main jet i think it was bogging over every range in the throttle

i went to a 61 size main jet and it runs alot better from idle to about 3/4 throttle

i saw this on another thread soem said this
My carb came with a 70 jet in it and it wouldn't go past half throttle without bogging . I went to a 95 jet 100 % better with just a bit of a off idle stumble. Today I went down to a 92.5 jet adjusted the air screw to the highest ldle about 1 3/4 turns out from seated . Bike has never run better , smooth idle no four stroking anyware with a nice crisp exhaust note

i am a bit confused if i am donig the right thing.

if it is bogging at 3/4 throttle to full throttle and it doesn't get going untill i back the throttle off should i go a bigger or smaller jet ?

any help with this would be awesome

thanks Zach

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
"Bogging" is kind of a weird term people use....it can be interpreted either way, the best way to get a handle on it is to look at the plug and see if it's too rich, or too lean.

dj.chicken1

Apr 28, 2012
australia
its more like it will fire from 3/4 below properly and once you put full throttle it just dies unless it gets abit of momentum going first

headtrama

Jul 8, 2010
california
Try turning on the choke when it starts to bog and see if it will let you go to full throttle . I am running a 80 main jet now in mine and it runs well . Temperature will affect jetting as well as humility. Get in contact with Ivanh . He is in Australia to and I am sure he can help you out some . My jetting and his jetting are different same carb but different ends of the map .

ivan H

Oct 8, 2011
australia
Hi mate, 61 will b 2 small (lean). I'm at 77.5 main. This may b couple posts cause using phone & run outta screen. Learn 2 read ur plug & exhaust note. Plug should b strong white coffee color, including flat part of earth electrode, blackish on the curve. If ur getting a tinny crackle exhaust sound over 3/4 throttle ur jet is 2 small, it'll also take a while 2 die down when u back off & pull clutch in when lean. If ur plug is grey ur dangerously lean.

ivan H

Oct 8, 2011
australia
They come stock with 70 main, 25 pilot. If its idling ok dont worry bout pilot 4 now. Ur better off 2 start a bit rich & work down as u wont do harm, & needle height will affect WOT (until u get the jet right) so adjust the clip all the way up 1 position at a time b4 going 2 next jet down. U said it came with 85?, go down 1 size (2.5 increments) at a time & start each time with needle clip in center. Rich will 4 stroke & have a dull, flat exhaust sound, & fume.

Last edited:

ivan H

Oct 8, 2011
australia
A motor thats a bit lean will run good downhill & produce hi revs downhil but lack power & run flat everywhere else & exhaust note is tinny & crackly. A bit rich will 4 stroke downhill & on flat but run better uphill under load, exhaust note is heavy dull sound, but ur plug is the best indication as 2 how ur jetted. When u get the main jet close, select the right 1 by which gives highest top speed WOT on a straight. That should get u close. Cheers

ivan H

Oct 8, 2011
australia
Go 2 Mikuni corporation's web page, they should have a PDF file on tuning VM carbs, if they dont go 2 mikunioz.com & u'll get it there. If u have trouble getting both WOT & mid throttle positions in sync, try blocking off the air hole at the very bottom of air intake with the filter off. Only the bottom 1, the other is 4 choke circuit. It will mean jetting down as it stops air getting 2 the bleeder holes in the needle jet. Good luck with it. Cheers

superharry

Mar 10, 2012
Mira Loma, CA.
To find out quik, cover a portion of your air filter, if the engine wants to die, its rich, if it picks up, a lean condition. My carb (vm22) came with a 95 main, and I have it all the way to a 126. its still a bit lean, but I ran out of jets!

ivan H

Oct 8, 2011
australia
Both Headtrauma & Superharry gave good advice, quickest way 2 get an idea which way 2 go. Do a plug chop with a new plug, bring motor 2 temp & do a long enough run 2 color the plug, keeping throttle only in problem area, then with throttle still in problem area, pull clutch & hit kill at same time. Let cool & check plug, it'll tell u. Cheers