A pair of Panthers

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Pictured below are two bikes with the same frame. The one with black tires belongs to a friend and is a 1949 Schwinn straight-bar. The one with cream tires is mine and was made in 1950. They share many of the same parts, yet look a lot different. I thought it was interesting how a few different things can change the look of a bike so much.

Same frame, engine & tranny, same rear rack, same Wald fenders (but one set in chrome and the other in black) same headlight, center stand and same color paint.

Butch's bike inherited my in frame gas tank (sportscarpat's tank #1, the prototype) and I still have the peanut tank until I make an electroplate tin in-frame tank, modeled after Pat's. So the tanks are different.

His suspension fork is from a newer Whizzer with a normal bicycle type of goose neck and handlebars. My fork is Suzuki, is of the moped type with no goose neck and cut off ape hanger handlebars.... big difference in appearance. (Butch's front end sits level with someone on the bike in case you're wondering.) I like mine better, but his has a more vintage, classic look.

Both headlights are the same, an off road light from Harbor Freight, but they look different since mine is tucked in to the headlight ears on the fork while his mounts to the fork frame. Choosing one fork over another can make a huge difference in what your bike will look like, so choose carefully.

Both rear racks are stock. His has a set of folding baskets and a has a clean, spartan, utilitarian look. Mine is more busy with a V8 tool box, tail and brake light and raven feather (which makes it go like the wind).

Engine shrouds make a difference, too. His are stock. My engine shrouds are removed and the flywheel has a small protective shroud made from a coffee can. My transmission cover is electroplate tin and fits snugly over the molded plastic one. This gives a very different look, one not necessarily better than the other... just a matter of preference.

As I look at the two, one looks more conservative and kind of vintage, a nice old cruiser. The other looks more like a racer with more flash. But at the core they are the same bike.

One of the things I find so interesting on this forum is how bikes take on some of the character of their owners. Butch is much more conservative than I am and it shows in his bike. He's all grown up into a responsible type adult and I'm still twelve. Ha!

I finally have a riding buddy up here in the north woods. Sunday afternoon we'll meet up in Ely, Minnesota for the first mini-rally. We're expecting two bikes. Festivities will include a subway sandwich and can of Lost Lake beer. When Fasteddy gets here from Vancouver in a couple weeks there will be three bikes for the Sunday afternoon at the park ride. Can't wait to see his 50's Monark Silver King Deluxe with the sidecar. These old bikes should turn some heads. Here come the Geezermen Motorbicycle Gang... woohoo!

(Aaniimoosh the Wonder Dog is our official gang biker babe. She rides in the trailer until my sidecar frame is up and running.) God, I hope I never grow up.
SB

Attachments

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
what a fine looking pair !!!
I like them both :)
I agree with bikes taking on the characteristics of their owner/builder

they are each unique in their own way...just like us ;)

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
SB, looking good! Where are you getting the exhaust? I'm thinking that might be the way for me to go on the Worksman. Got pretty much everything mocked-up today on this bike. Gonna make a transmission cover tomorrow and will try to take photos soon. The Schwinn fenders will fit this bike I think, but I'm real unhappy that I cut the back fender like I did. I'm gonna get the bondo out and see if I can make it right. The old fenders look better to me than the new ones I bought so if I can't fix my "mistake" I'll get on EBay. I see them there sometimes. Have fun at your rally! Dan

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
As usual very nice work SB, i love those headlights.

I have a question regarding the in frame tank. Its a sportscarpat tank you say, he does the nicest work. But what im wondering about is the Motorbike decal. Ive seen this decal on other bikes. Are they designed by Sportscarpat or are they a decal that came on these bicycles from factory on faux gas tanks. Being Australian we dont see any of these beautiful bikes........ well actually there is a seller on EBay atm from Australia selling many American mint condition vintage bicycles but he wants around $1500 - $2000 for them..... way way way outta my price range but very cool none the less.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Thanks for the nice comments.
I agree, Pat, that the Panther frame is a great starting point for a classic cruiser or board track type of build. Wonderful lines, lots of room for an engine (unlike the Worksman NB) and quality workmanship.

Harry, we commonly call this frame a "panther", but technically it is a Schwinn straight bar frame which was used on a number of different models over a couple of decades and were made different with graphics, fake gas tanks, cool fender lights, etc. Some had airplane themes and some automobile and some motorcycle. At one time Schwinn purchased the Excelsior Motorcycle Company and was racing them. There was one model with this straight bar frame called the "Motorbike" which had a fake in frame gas tank and the decal for it is what you are asking about. The one on that tank is a water decal like the originals. You'd need to ask Pat or Chainmaker where to get them. They're pretty cool all right. Phantom was another model and yet another was the Panther, both were fully tricked out and the stuff of many young boy's dreams. For that time they were quite expensive, top of the line bikes. "Panther" has kind of a sexy sound to it... fast, predator, etc. so many of us have taken to calling all straight bar Schwinns "Panthers". Butch found his on ebay for a little over a hundred dollars and I found mine at the dump a couple of years ago... my best find ever. They stopped making the straight bar frames in the 1950's.

Tinsmith, I'll send you a PM regarding ordering the fles pipe exhaust for you Monday morning if you want. This is a Whizzer exhaust pipe sold by EZMotors as an upgrade. The stock exhaust pipe and muffler are OK, but the straight flex pipe gives a noticeable boost in power, a much nicer "motorcycle" sound and puts the exhaust out behind you. I like it a lot better.

Regarding your transmission shroud. If I may I would suggest using the molded plastic shroud as a form for the electroplate tin one you're making and then when you're done leave the plastic one inside the tin. Not only will you have a perfect fit, but no metal on metal for any possible vibration. By chance the one on the Panther we made fits like that and has the original inside. Thanks again for your mentoring me as an aging apprentice. Heal up so you can take that stretch for a great first ride. We will want pictures, please, including you on your machine.

I had a little setback last yesterday starting with a broken tooth in the morning and in the evening broke my left big toe. Ouch. I still hobbled to the bike for a long ride this afternoon in classic Minnesota warm sun and cool air... enjoying the wildflowers popping up alongside the road through the forest, turtles laying their eggs in the gravel of the shoulders and a few white tailed deer bounding off after giving the bear and dog a good look. Wore my bedroom slippers to ride in since the foot is pretty swollen, so I won't know for sure about the "mini rally" in Ely tomorrow. I feel a little funny about riding around town in my blue bedroom slippers... ha! Can't get a shoe or even moccasin to go on and barefoot is not a real good idea. Maybe I can shoot the slippers flat black with a rattle can as I don't want to embarrass my granddaughter. "Why is your grandpa riding that bike in his slippers? Is he crazy?" A little.
SB

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Just a follow up note to say the mini rally was lots of fun. Ely, Minnesota is a tourist town in the summers now that logging forest products is on the decline and iron ore mining is to the south of us. While a ghost town in the cold long winter, come summer there are people everywhere. Ely is the main launching point into the million acre Boundary Waters Canoe Area of interconnected lakes seemingly everywhere... over 12,500 of them in Minnesota and almost all are up here in the Arrowhead or northeast where I live. Indian country.

So there were many enthusiastic looks from the throngs of tourists in town as Butch and I rode around on our Panthers. He is absolutely hooked now and it was fun to see this much too serious guy smiling like he was twelve again and proudly showing his bike to people. These bikes are good medicine. We had fun and the people seeing us had fun watching two old guys on their cool motorbicycles be boys again. A lot of good vibes got spread around. I found a pair of sandals I could wear with my broken toe; no slippers. Aaniimoosh the Wonder Dog got in maybe thirty miles worth of biking yesterday. Lucky dog...
SB