Rat Rod, or not?

GoldenMotor.com

Billy Thunder

Jul 8, 2010
B.C. Canada
This is my first MB. I'm not sure if this fits the rat rod catagory or not... I built it from scavenged parts, added the motor and then upgraded the tires and handlebars. It's still going through changes (I added a headlight this week). It has been very reliable, beyond my expectations, not needing a wrench since I worked the small bugs out of it. I plan on stripping it down and painting it this winter - maybe, lol.

Billy Thunder

Jul 8, 2010
B.C. Canada
Yeah, I keep an eye on the fender mounts. I read the thread about the safety issues.
The frame is a 1982ish cross-over MTB made by Mitsubishi, labeled as Suteki. I picked it from a pile of junk. I could see it had potential.

Maxvision

Jun 13, 2009
San Diego, CA
Wikipedia.org: Rat Rod

Most rat rods appear "unfinished" (whether they actually are or not), with just the bare essentials to be driven.

The rat rod is the visualization of the idea of function over form. Rat rods are meant to be driven, not shown off. Sometimes the customization will include using spare parts, or parts from another car altogether.

_________________​

Still a nice build. I like the tires!

Roach

Sep 16, 2010
wisconsin
I've got something similar. Its a schwinn collegiate but same frame shape. I'm thinking of adding a second bar so I can attach a tank to it, instead of the crappy peanut tank. Even a cylindrical pvc tube might work.

here's a photochop...

jose Pinto

Aug 29, 2010
Portugal
very good your bike, if you allow me my opinion, I do not like the tank supplied with the kit, I removed mine and put in the rear. I tried a junk car and bought a water deposit for a car FIAT UNO (and pvc) I plugged some holes more, and applied the tap. Sorry my english

jose Pinto

Aug 29, 2010
Portugal
Very Nice Billy, I like it (^)
My friends, you have to ask for help, I do not understand what is (RATE ROD) in the translation to my language gives nothing. this term is not used in my country I am very grateful for an explanation in other words. excuse my ignorance. thanks
laffff

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
I'd say it fits! Not all rat rods can be rusty with pin up girls and iron crosses on them, or black primer and whitewalls.

I like your bike build.

Wikipedia.org: Rat Rod

Most rat rods appear "unfinished" (whether they actually are or not), with just the bare essentials to be driven.

The rat rod is the visualization of the idea of function over form. Rat rods are meant to be driven, not shown off. Sometimes the customization will include using spare parts, or parts from another car altogether.

_________________​

Still a nice build. I like the tires!

mmmmudd

Dec 31, 2010
california
@OP. .
This is a great bike and well on it's way to being a great rat!
the only thing missing is patina. Spend a year riding it like you just stole it, especially in the rain. Treasure the adventures in dust and dirt, and you'll be onto something amazing.
Great rats aren't built, they're grown.

Billy Thunder

Jul 8, 2010
B.C. Canada
@OP. .
This is a great bike and well on it's way to being a great rat!
the only thing missing is patina. Spend a year riding it like you just stole it, especially in the rain. Treasure the adventures in dust and dirt, and you'll be onto something amazing.
Great rats aren't built, they're grown.
I just broke this one out of winter storage. I rode all this past week. The snow is still 4' deep in the ditches, but there is DRY PAVEMENT! First motored two wheeler to hit the streets of my town. Oh Ya!

mmmmudd

Dec 31, 2010
california
Good times Billy!
Rat in the snow could make for some great pictures. I'm just looking out at the nasty weather right now and thinking how to break out with the bike and the camera, at the same time, without damaging the Mighty Canon in the process. Rat bikes are a lot more durable than rat cameras! lol