karma1968

Oct 6, 2009
hamilton

Attachments

Last edited:

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Nice work. I have built several "free air " engines from fan cooled. They will cool well from the airflow while moving with the addition of a small bit of ducting on the cylinder to direct airflow. They are fairly tolerent of sitting at a traffic light. However if you are in stop and go and a lot of sitting this looks like the way to go. I recently installed an aircooled engine in my sail boat and use two computer fans to cool the engine and alternator. The fans found in most computers dont move enough air. I found a German fan on ebay that is all metal construction and blows like a hurricane! Was pretty reasonable@ around $12 as I remember.

Vistaman73

Chat Box Junkie
Nov 29, 2009
Shawnee, Kansas
This looks like a great idea, I am a custom PC builder and I know how little air those fans really move. I support this project fully, but wonder if the fans will be enough, as cannonball said, I'd look into a higher quality fan. After watching your videos, it seems like you've got the right idea, with the fan, and upgrade would be nice. Good luck, and we look forward to updates.

Last edited:

silvaire

Jan 25, 2009
North of the Golden Gate
It looks very interesting, and I think it may ultimately be successful. I would certainly try working with it before accepting anyone's assumptions that it will have insufficient air flow. At idle you won't be generating much heat, and at speed you will probably get enough free air cooling that the fan won't be needed. It will be when it is a hot day and you are going up hill (and just for fun, throw in a tail wind too) that you will likely have issues.

Last edited:

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
I assume you are going to use the stock airguide that mounts under the exhaust header. I will not only direct the fan flow more positively across the exhaust port area, it will keep the incoming free air from back loading the fan. What is the reason for ditching the engine fan cooling? The only advantage I can see would be slightly more power. The Rotax fan cooled aircraft engines were listed as about 2hp more minus the fan(free air). The HS engine obviously wont gain that much but some, and every little bit counts! Trust me on the average computer fan output, you will need one designed to cool a large heat sink. You may have one already, I cant tell by the pic.

Vistaman73

Chat Box Junkie
Nov 29, 2009
Shawnee, Kansas
It seems as though Karma has been really busy lately, so with all due respect Karma, I will give some people here an update. In his new videos it looks like he is entering the electric bike stage. In this video, you can see that he is done with this project due to local police. Sorry Karma, it was looking really good. Just wanted to let everyone know due to all the responses. YouTube - 4 stroke bicycle for sale!! $$$ or trade parts for electric bike project
Cheers

karma1968

Oct 6, 2009
hamilton
ya im hopeful in the future. things may change towards gas bikes in Canada.
kinda stinks the government is stuck in the stone age. and doesn't see the importance of alternative vehicles. the real problem in Hamilton Ontario is the
air heads down town doing 80km on a side street with slush covered roads.
one person is dead and the rest suffer. i don't want to say it but they need to be licensed in Canada if they become legal .

ill be back :)