intake leak?

GoldenMotor.com

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Today after a long ride I noticed a drop of oil dripping off my intake manifold onto a cylinder fin right under it. The flange bolts are tight and the motor runs well.

Should I replace the gasket anyway?

FreeWheeler

Jun 22, 2010
Maryland
That's uncanny!!

I found the exact same thing on mine today. Mine was caused by serious flooding from leaving fuel on overnight and messing with the carb primer button too long. The entire crankcase on mine was flooded overnight and when I tried to start it, poof, splat, gas and oil out every orifice. I got it started finally and cleaned it up and let it cook off. It isnt leaking, but it isnt running right either.

I'm interested in what experts recommend for you, since it probably applies to me too.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
That's uncanny!!

I found the exact same thing on mine today. Mine was caused by serious flooding from leaving fuel on overnight and messing with the carb primer button too long. The entire crankcase on mine was flooded overnight and when I tried to start it, poof, splat, gas and oil out every orifice. I got it started finally and cleaned it up and let it cook off. It isnt leaking, but it isnt running right either.

I'm interested in what experts recommend for you, since it probably applies to me too.
I don't trust the float valve in these little carbs so I always try to remember to turn off the petcock even if I turn the motor off for just a few minutes.

I don't have experience with 2 strokes so I don't even know it oil normally seeps out of the intake. I don't see anything coming out of the exhaust side.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
With out reed valves some oil accumulation will build up a bit at the end of the carbs by the air filter..

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
just one drop? don't worry about it, but keep an eye on it.

if it's a steady drip, clean it all off with carb cleaner, then turn the fuel on and sit there and stare at it and see where it's coming from.

if it's a real small amount, it probably just dripped out of the air cleaner, or off the tank, or anywhere. it's pretty normal to have some gas residue around the carb.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Thanks for the replys. Yesterday I did notice some leakage from the carb where the float bowl fits, I tightened to 2 screws that hold the bowl on. I guess it might have come from there and ran down the manifold.

I forget about when gas leaks from this thing it's also like an oil leak. Today I'll clean it real good and see where it's coming from.

gojrracing

Oct 29, 2010
Minneapolis
Today after a long ride I noticed a drop of oil dripping off my intake manifold onto a cylinder fin right under it. The flange bolts are tight and the motor runs well.

Should I replace the gasket anyway on these used engines?
I think you should replace the gasket. For your safety and it will lessen your costs. :D

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I think you should replace the gasket. For your safety and it will lessen your costs. :D
Im on top of it. I made a new gasket, ported and resurfaced my intake manifold, and I also resurfaced the port deck. Replaced the intake studs, and used gasket sealer.

After a 44 mile ride yesterday there wasn't a drop of oil anywhere to be seen on my motor. It's also idleing mo betta

Thanks for the replys!!