Another wooden tank!!! LOL

GoldenMotor.com

Blackhog01

Jul 10, 2010
Kansas,Chetopa
Was reading the other day a post about a wooden gas tank a guy was building and thought i would show you the original wooden tank bike. I just picked this one up today for 40 bucks been workin on the owner for about 6 months finally got him to sell it. I dont know for sure wat make it is cant find any markings or numbers anywhere Was thinking it was a schwinn? anyone kno? what year brand ? would appreciate it if any of you bike gurus could hook a brother up wit sum info.Kid i got it from said he bought it from an old man down by the river for five bucks he rode the heck out of it till the chain broke then sold it to me. Im thinkin ditch the wooden tank for a nice metal in frame. Black with red fenders and tank like the shaw bike i posted pics of. Anyway thought i would throw some pics up an see what you guys thought.dance1dnut

Attachments

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
it looks like a Hawthorne, probably mid 50's.

as far as i know, and i'm pretty certain about this, no company has ever made a wooden tank.

it's gotta be home made, and i doubt it's worth anything, 'cept maybe for firewood.:)

Blackhog01

Jul 10, 2010
Kansas,Chetopa
Thanks Bairdco! Nah the wooden tank thing was my feeble attempt at humor i knew it was sumthin someone nailed on there. After lookin around a bit i kinda thought it looked like a Hawthorne. Does the dropouts being open to the back make it older than that? thought i read that somewhere. Thanx for the conformation kinda nice to have some kinda idea what it is.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i dunno, looking at it again, it may be older. i forgot that hawthorne didn't always use a skiptooth chain on the older bikes. i had a 38 girls bike with the standard chain.

if the cranks are original, they should have a date stamp on them, but you'd have to take them off to see, it's about in the middle on the part that goes through the bottom bracket.

also, the CABE can probably help you date it:The Classic and Antique Bicycle Exchange - The Classic and Antique Bicycle Exchange

Blackhog01

Jul 10, 2010
Kansas,Chetopa
I pulled the cranks out there was no numbers at all just said wald.Looks as if the numbers on the bottom of the bike has worn off or was removed?Hmmmmm !!! Idont know guess it doesnt matter just would like to know thanks for the help Baird appreciate it. Hows the Bairdco bicycle line coming?? Good i hope it would be cool to be able to see your bikes runnin around!!