Internally Geared Hub (ie Sturmy-archer) not necessary when you have CVT?

GoldenMotor.com

highlander9

Oct 15, 2010
Illinois
Is having both at the same time necessary? One I understand is a 3 speed drum brake, while the other is...well...a CVT. Help me out people, I'm confused.:-||

bowljoman

Aug 7, 2010
Wa
Yeah, it'd be nice to have both, can use the power range around hills, and if you dont rip belts often from over-gunning it.

I like the gear whine when I have that thing spinning at 6000+ rpm.

I dont like the friction, weight, chinese bearings, or ripping belts. I'm pro-nexus-3-speed installed as a jack-shaft, which out performs the CVT for speed and reliability hands down.

highlander9

Oct 15, 2010
Illinois
Yeah, it'd be nice to have both, can use the power range around hills, and if you dont rip belts often from over-gunning it.

I like the gear whine when I have that thing spinning at 6000+ rpm.

I dont like the friction, weight, chinese bearings, or ripping belts. I'm pro-nexus-3-speed installed as a jack-shaft, which out performs the CVT for speed and reliability hands down.
So the questions stands, "is the internally geared hub necessary if you have cvt?" Yes or no?

reb1

Aug 15, 2010
CALIFORNIA
No if you like wearing out the belts on the cvt and the motor quicker. Yes if you want a better range so you don't put as much stress on the cvt and motor. It is more complicated than yes or no. Things like how much do you weigh, how fast do you ride and hills all play in to your question. Maybe you should read more info before deciding.