Spoke Size? (cranbrook)

GoldenMotor.com

moronic_kaos

Apr 6, 2010
Connecticut
Anyone know offhand what size the spokes are for a stock rear wheel on a Cranbrook? Trying to avoid the whole bike shop experience...

I'm not real sure how the sizes/lengths work, but I am perfectly capable of balancing a wheel. Pulled it apart last night to try and balance it before putting a new tire on and realized I had 5 snapped spokes. Gonna replace the whole thing with steel ones.

Last edited:

diceman2004

Aug 26, 2009
Kitchener , Ontario
if your using the same hub and rim , you already know what you need .
just take out a good spoke ( measure it , or take it to the store and get the same )

most bikes come with 14 gauge spokes

the thicker 11 or 12 gauge spokes definately look sweet , BUT , unless you find good quality stainless ones somewere , just go with good quality stainless 14 guage spokes .

most of the thicker gauge spokes are made out of plain chromed steel and have lower tensile strenght than the good quality 14 guage spokes

i,m sure some people on the site here can direct you as to were to get good 11-12 guage spokes . but if your gonna do it ( buy good quality spokes ) don,t spring for the cheap ones ( there is a reason they are cheap )

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Metric tape measures are cheap. In fact most of them now come with metric and standard measurements. A couple of bucks will get you a good one nearly anywhere; hardware stores, dime stores even the supermarket.
Tom

moronic_kaos

Apr 6, 2010
Connecticut
I was just concerned on the accuracy of the tape measure. Only gets down to like 1/16 yet there's 25mm in an inch. Measured it and determined it to be 260, then took it to a bike shop to see what they said. They said 260 as well.

They only had black spokes so my rim looks quite interesting, half black and half chrome. It's as if the rim is always in a shadow when it really isn't. I haven't decided if I like it or if I'm just too lazy to change it.

EDIT: Is $1/spoke a bad price?

Last edited:

diceman2004

Aug 26, 2009
Kitchener , Ontario
i paid 75 cents a spoke for the higher end spokes ( but not the real high quality ones ) .
the place that supplies all the bike shops here is pretty close , so we don,t get nailed with the extra shipping costs .

moronic_kaos

Apr 6, 2010
Connecticut
Yeah, the shipping does suck. The first place I went to wanted $50 for a bag of 50 for a minimum order, and I had to wait a week for them to come in. I mean, it's the same price I paid in the end but WTF am I going to do with 50 spokes? At least I was able to buy just the 18 I needed and got them right there on the spot.

BTW: Lesson learned here is TORQUE THE REAR SPROCKET DOWN! I had mine torqued down at first and then started loosening bolts in order to balance it. By the time it was done the sprocket was actually loose enough that it would slip half an inch in either direction, smashing the bolts into the spokes where they passed through.